Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

i am replacing a head gasket on a 2004 nissan sentra. i have

Customer Question

i am replacing a head gasket on a 2004 nissan sentra. i have chosen not to remove the entire timing chain instead i have pulled the chain tight and tied it off. my question is i did not move crank to tdc and removed the cam gears so what is the best way to ensure i get the cam lined up?? i do not want to cause any engine damage so i need to get it right the first time
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.
did you mark the cam chain and gears?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

actually i did but my concern is the intake cam gear being hydraulic and there appeared to some movement when i removed it so im just a bit concerned. is it best to move crank to tdc at this point and will turning it without the cam gears being on affect the chains position?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i did mark the chain but my biggest concern is the intake cam gear is hydraulic and there seemed to be some movement when i removed the gears. is it at this point best to turn crank to tdc or will the cam gears not being on affect the chains position

yes..it is best to put it at tdc..because you would know where the crank is when it is time to put it together..you may now,need to remove the timing cover and just start from scratch

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

2.4L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Drain the engine oil.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Spark plug wires and set the No. 1 piston at the Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke Engine undercover Vacuum hoses, fuel hoses, wires, harness and connectors Drive belts Power steering reservoir Alternator and bracket, the upper radiator hose, the air duct and the front exhaust tube Intake manifold collector supports, intake manifold collector and the exhaust manifold Distributor
  5. Using a block of wood, set a transmission jack under the aluminum oil pan and remove the front engine mounting.
    NOTE The stoppers on camshaft covers prevent the upper timing chain from disengaging from the idle sprocket.

NOTE These parts must be reassembled in their original positions.

NOTE A warped or cracked cylinder head could result from loosening in incorrect order. The cylinder head bolts should be loosened in 2 or 3 steps.

NOTE The cast portion of the front cover is located on the lower side of the crankshaft sprocket, so the lower timing chain need not be disengaged from idler sprocket.

Valve cover. Remove the valve cover bolts in the proper sequence. Camshaft sprockets

Cam bearing caps in sequence Camshafts. The camshaft brackets must be loosened in reverse order of tightening to prevent damage to the camshaft.

Cylinder head bolts in the reverse order of installation

Cam sprocket cover Upper chain tensioner and upper chain guides Upper timing chain Idler sprocket bolt Cylinder head and the intake manifold Cylinder head gasket. The lower timing chain will not be disengaged from crankshaft sprocket.

Steel oil pan bolts in the reverse sequence of the tightening procedure
  6. Install a seal cutter between the steel oil pan and the aluminum oil pan.
  7. Tapping the cutter with a hammer, slide it around the entire edge of the oil pan. Take care not to damage the aluminum oil pan.
  8. Remove or disconnect the following:

Steel oil pan Baffle plate, oil strainer and the front tube
  9. Support the transaxle with a jack and the engine with a engine hoist.

Front suspension member A/C compressor gussets Rear cover plate Aluminum oil pan retaining bolts in sequence
  10. Insert a seal cutter between the oil pan and the cylinder block.
  11. Tapping the cutter with a hammer, slide it around the entire edge of the oil pan. Take care not to damage the aluminum oil pan.

Oil pan from the engine Crankshaft pulley Front timing chain cover Oil pump drive spacer Lower timing chain tensioner, tensioner arm and lower timing chain guide Lower timing chain and idler sprocket

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Crankshaft sprocket and oil pump drive spacer Idler sprocket and lower timing chain
  2. Set the lower timing chain on the sprockets, aligning the mating marks. The mating marks on the timing chain assembly will be silver.

Chain tension arm and chain guide Lower timing chain tensioner
  3. Apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket to the front cover and install the front cover. Install a new oil seal.

Crankshaft pulley and torque tighten bolt to 105-112 ft. lbs. (142-152 Nm)
  4. Carefully scrape the old gasket material away from the pan and cylinder block mounting surfaces, then apply a continuous 3.5-4.5mm wide bead of liquid gasket around the oil pan and the cylinder block.

Aluminum oil pan and torque the bolts, in sequence, to 13 ft. lbs. (17.5 Nm) Baffle plate, oil strainer and the front tube Steel oil pan and torque the bolts, in sequence, to 61 inch lbs. (7 Nm) Rear cover plate A/C compressor gussets Front suspension member Front engine mounting and remove the engine hoist and transaxle support New cylinder head gasket Cylinder head and temporarily tighten the cylinder head bolts when installing the front cover. This is necessary to avoid damaging the cylinder head gasket. Be sure to install washers between the bolts and cylinder head. Upper timing chain, chain tensioner and chain guide
  5. Set the upper timing chain on idler sprockets, aligning the mating marks.

Cam sprocket cover. Apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket to front cover. Be careful not to damage the cylinder head gasket. Be careful that the upper timing chain does not slip or jump when installing cam sprocket cover.
  6. Tighten cylinder head bolts.

Camshafts and camshaft bearing caps Camshaft sprockets, then torque the sprocket bolts to 123-130 ft. lbs. (167-176 Nm). Install the chain guide between both camshaft sprockets. The alignment marks on the upper portion of the timing chain should now be aligned. Valve cover Distributor Intake manifold collector supports and collector Exhaust manifold Alternator and bracket Upper radiator hose Air duct assembly Front exhaust tube Power steering reservoir Drive belts Vacuum hoses and fuel lines Engine under cover Spark plug wires Negative battery cable
  7. Fill the cooling system.
  8. Fill the engine with clean oil.
  9. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.
  10. FIG : Be sure to align the mark on the idler sprocket with the mark on the upper chain-2.4L engines

image

11. FIG : Align the marks on the camshaft sprockets with the upper portion of the upper timing chain and mating marks-2.4L engine

image

12. FIG : Lower timing chain alignment marks-2.4L engine

image