Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.

2003 nissan altima no fire to plugs

2003 nissan altima no fire to plugs
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Just Answer.

Does your security light stay lit while attempting to start the engine. (while cranking)?

Have you had th vehicle checked for codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with the key off the security light flashes when key is on position light goes off had locksmith to check out theft system and was ok their was communication with key
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Have you had the vehicle checked for codes?

Also who installed the cam/crank sensors?

Have all the fuse and fusible links been checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have had check for codes no codes i install the cam and crank sensor my self ive check all fuses and links ive check the links by the battery and the fuses on the right side of the car and the fuses inside the car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what else would control the spark for ignition coils
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ive tried almost everything i could think of so im in desprate need for help what ive had this car at my shop for almost 2 weeks
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
just noticed that you said the locksmith checked the car for key communication and that it worked. But most lock smiths don't have the ability to do this?

You also said the light turned off with the key in the ON position. BUT what does the security light do while you are actually cranking the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

locksmith is a contractor for some big dealers in houston and auction when tring to actually tring to start light goes off . what does the security actually disable

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
If the key is a problem it normally disables the injector pulse but on some models it also disables spark.

However if the light is off while cranking then this likely isn't your problem.

How did you check for spark? and do you have injector pulse?

Do you have a scanner that you can view data on such as the engine speed signal?

Also do you have a oscilloscope so that you can check the signal from the crank and cam sensors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
check injector pulse with injector led and flashes while turning have scanner snapon modis dont have oscilloscope car was running and just shut off
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
It is getting late, is it okay to continue this tomorrow evening?

Note! I accidentally sent you the ACCEPT button. You don't need to accept yet since we are still trying to figure this out.

Edited by Nathan on 7/1/2010 at 4:12 AM EST
Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience: 17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey if you dont mine please help me out i will give you more cash if i could get it running thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
I really do need to get to sleep but in the mean time I need you to double check some things.

Double check the cam and crank sensor installation. I have seen several times when people have not seated the sensor completely in the hole. ( So check it closely, especially the crank sensor since it is so hard to access and difficult to reach)

Also check the terminal pins of the crank sensor to make sure they didn't get bent over or damaged. ( I have seen this many times as well )

When installing the connector make sure that the green locking tab has fully released and locked the connector into place.

I will check up on this question tomorrow, but if you need assistance sooner than this can opt out for now.

Should I OPT out for now so that other experts can assist you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey get some sleep i will check this out tomorrow and if have any question i will send you a message thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
recheck crank sensor install new one same problem replace crank sensor pigtale same problem giving up no fire yet i even try ecm and had the nats reprogram same problem
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Just to make sure we are talking about the right sensor, could you tell me where the crank sensor is that you replaced? Where is it located?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry so late sensor located on engine block just right over engine mount and axle in the bottom

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Yeah, i sounds like you have the correct the sensor. Have you by chance checked to see if the coils work on another vehicle? Are there any bulges or burn marks on the sides of the coil packs? If there are than this is likely a issue with engine grounding.

I have got to say that if the sensor's are new and installed correctly,all fuse links and fuses are good, the keys are programmed, you have injector pulse, and the ecm is communicating with all of the other units then I am stumped.

I am thinking that you may need to have a dealer check this one out for you. I can provide a wiring diagram for the coils so that we can make sure you have all the proper powers and grounds if you like. But after that if it still isn't resolved I think the dealer would be your best option.

Would you like to do some electrical checks on the coil circuits?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea that will be good i have another altima and try coils on it and works fine .letme ask do you think the timing mite have anything to do with it
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
As long as the camshaft is turning I think you should have spark. Try this, unplug the cam sensor and then crank the vehicle to see if you have spark?

Have you had the timing chain apart? Do you have any reason to suspect the timing is off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replace tenshioner about two about three weeks ago crank up with no problem so now this happen now check timing to make sure it had not jump but everythings look fine
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Alright just to make sure, how did you check for spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mac tools sales a spark tester to test spark out of plugs and of course the old fashion way pull the coil out to see if spark
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
When testing for spark the best way is to simply pull the spark plug and insert it in the coil. Then hold the body of the spark plug down to a solid metal surface such as the intake manifold or other reliable ground source.

If the plugs are simply laid on top of the plastic valve cover they won't spark because they don't have a ground path.

Also tell me what the compression is on all of the cylinders?

Edited by Nathan on 7/2/2010 at 4:19 AM EST
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
I am calling it a night in about 10 minutes, I will check up on your question in the morning.

Here is another thing you can check on the coils, The red wires should all have 12 volts on them while the key is in the ON position.

The black wires should all show a solid ground when checking them with a ohmeter it should continuity.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i check all this out already red has power and black has ground the only think i have is how to check the third wire that goes in the coil what is it sopposse to give out while engine is turnig
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
In order to properly check the signal wire you will need a oscilloscope. It is a pulsed wave pattern that is sent from the ecm.

Here is what the wave pattern should look like.
graphic
graphic
Make sure the above power supplies to the ecm exist.

graphic
graphic
Without a oscilloscope there is no way to be able to check to see if the ECM is pulsing the proper signal to the coils.

You would also need a oscilloscope to properly test the output signal from the crank and cam sensors.

This is why I believe you are going to end up needing to take the vehicle to the dealer so that they can check these for you. ( Since you said you don't have a oscilloscope)

I am sorry but it is just what needs to be done.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey was going on took car to dealer to get check charge me 250.00 dollars supposely to fix it what ever they did dint fix it and still had to pay wanted me to replace wiring hardness then told me timing was off so they didnt know what to do so i pay to get car out replace engine it took care problem so that was a waste of money at the dealer they just charge just to tell me what may the problem
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
So you replaced the engine because someone got the timing chain off a tooth! The timing chain could have been placed back into time in about 20 minutes! Who said you needed to replace the engine.

I have seen many people do head gaskets and get the timing off a tooth. To correct it the only thing that needs to be removed is the valve cover and to loosen the camshaft gear.

Well glad you have it fixed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey nathan do you have a diagram on the timing of this altima cause i still have the engine
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Sure,

graphicgraphic