Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

how to install after market fog light on 2010 nissian alitma

how to install after market fog light on 2010 nissian alitma 2.5 s using factory wiring and an after market switch.

I checked with the dealer and they side the car is wire but they wanted 275 for the head light kit which includes the factory switch part of the turn signal. Is it possible to use the existing factory wiring and an after market switch and fog lights. install instructions please with picks if possible.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

What I would recommend you do, is if your using the factory fog lights, but wiring it with a aftermarket harness and switch, just cut the factory connectors off for the fog lights, and hard wire them in to your after market fog light harrness.

Customer:

Thanks for the response but you did not anwer my question. The car does not have fog lights but does have the wiring for them. I would like to use the factory wiring with after market light and which. is this possible and how

Jay :

No it's not possible. The wiring for the fog lights goings into the IPDM, then to the BCM, then to where the factory switch would be. Since you do not have fog lights, the IPDM and BCM will not support the circuit, so you can't just put lights in. You will need to run your own wires to install after market fog lights.

Customer:

If i buy the factory fog light and switch will they work with the car

Customer:

Ps thanks for your help with this i know this is not related were is the best please to install an amp in the 2010 altima in thinking of attaching the amp to the back seat in the trunk have you ever seen this before.

Customer:

thanks again.

Jay :

No, factory lights and switch will not just work. It will require a new BCM. The BCM has to be able to support fog lights for them to work. What I did on my uncles truck is brought the factory fog lights, then cut the fog light harness connector, so they can plug into the factory light, and wired them seprately to a toggle switch for them to work.

Customer:

what is a BCM

Jay :

The BCM is the Body Control Module

Jay :

It has programs to help other controls to work, such as lighting, the alarm, and the keyless entry and more.

Customer:

Why does the dealer sell the fog light kit for the car if it will not work.

Jay :

That is not a fog lamp kit, that is just selling you the two fog lights.

Jay :

Salesmen are the worst when it comes to adding fog lights. They have no idea it's not a easy thing to do. You just can't put lights and a switch in these cars

Jay :

So they tell customers it can be added, when it can't

Jay :

Let me say it another way. It can be added, but it's much more expensive to have it installed

Jay :

Yeah, I know about these kits. You still need to have the BCM replaced. The BCM lets say has 4 program slots. When you add fog lights, you need to get a BCM that has 5 program slots. This is misleading

Customer:

how much is BCM

Customer:

when you did you uncles truck did you have to run all new wiring or were you able to use park of the factory wiring which was already their?

Jay :

His truck is a 05

Jay :

I got a fog light harness kit, with relay and a switch and I ran my own wires

Customer:

thanks for all of your help have a good weekend

Jay :

This fog light setup with the BCM has been around since 2003

Jay :

Your welcome, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

you were a great help and provide a really good service and saved me 220 dollor for fog light which would have not worked thanks again.

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome.

Thanks Jay!