Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.

nissan pathfinder: lower ball joint..4wd..axel is in the way.

I need to remove the lower ball joint on a 1995 4wd nissan pathfinder. Axel is in the way. What is next? Is removal of the hub needed?
hi on the out side of the hub do it have bolts that you need an special tool to remove / round on the outside ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are 6 hex nuts holding the free running hub assembly and 6 9/16" bolts holding the wheel assembly. I am assuming you are referring to the hex nuts on the free running hub.
and the ball joint gos in from the top/upside down right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is the lower ball joint. Yes it installs with the stud entering the steering knuckle from the top. I need to know if I need to remove the hub in order to remove the old OEM factory installed lower ball joint. The axle does not seem to allow enough clearance to remove the old ball joint.
ok this is what you need to do remove the outer free running hub 6 hex bolt pull the hub off , then remove just the snap-ring then remove the upper ball joint nut and get the it loose then remove the 6-12 mm bolts at the end of the axle remove the axle then ball joint , p's after removing the axle bolts turn the wheel so yo can get room the remove the axle if you have more question please ask.