JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member

2006 Nissan Altima: the Crankshaft Position sensor located..R&R

where is the Crankshaft Position sensor located on a 2006 Nissan Altima and what is the best way to approach R&R??

here is a picture and here is the service bulletin alsographic

Nissan/Altima 2002 2005-2006

Nissan/Sentra 2002 2005-2006

MANUFACTURER: Nissan North America, Inc.

MFR'S REPORT DATE: November 08, 2007

COMPONENT: Engine and Engine Cooling

On certain passenger vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine, the crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interruption in the signal output from the sensor.

If the interruption in the signal from the crankshaft position sensor is so brief that the Electronic Control Module (ECM) logic does not have time to diagnose the condition, the engine may stop running without warning while the vehicle is driven at a low speed increasing the risk of a crash.
Dealers will reprogram the ECM free of charge. Certain M/Y 2006 Altimas which have been previously remedied under recall campaign 06V223000 (Nissan R0606) are not included in this recall since the reprogramming for 06V223000 also included this reprogramming. The recall is expected to begin on or about December 10, 2007. Owners may contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261.

This is an expansion of a previous campaign (06V223000). Customers can also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Thanks for the dwg location. So I pulled both tires off, is that the best way to get to it and is it on the drivers side or passenger? I have been looking for the last hour and a half and dont see it anywhere. Also is it towards the top of the engine or down under.....</p><p>Please HELP, getting pissed!!! :)</p><p> Oh also is it towards the firewall or the radiator??</p><p> </p>

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So go at it from the top???

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help, I will take another stab at it in the morning.

You've been a great help. guess I just need to get a manual. Have had nothing but problems with this car since I bought it in 2006. 3000 miles into it they recalled it and had to put a brand new engine in it because of faulty valve linings or some crap. Now this and they wont honor the recall for a problem that is obvious for this year/model.. Oh well, Im sure you don't really care about that.. Thanks again.

best of luck