Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do i remove oil pan on 1996 nissan sentra gle 1597cc engine

Customer Question

how do i remove oil pan on 1996 nissan sentra gle 1597cc engine
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should help you...please print

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Nissan Sentra/Pulsar/NX 1982-1996 Repair

Oil Pan

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Removing the front oil pan bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: A long extension will be necessary to remove some oil pan bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Lifting the oil pan down from the engine block

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Notice that on this 1992 GA16DE the support member and exhaust where removed for easier access

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: All of the old gasket must be scraped away before installing the new gasket

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Using a seal cutter on the oil pan

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Apply RTV sealer on the inside of the bolt holes

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Apply an even bead of liquid or RTV sealer around the oil pan. Let the RTV set until a thin skin appears, then install-E16i engine shown

CAUTION The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.
1982-88 E-Series and Diesel Engines

1. If the engine is in the vehicle, attach a lift, support the engine, and remove the engine mounting bolts.
  2. Raise the engine slightly, watching to make sure that no hoses or wires are damaged.
  3. Drain the engine oil.
  4. Remove the oil pan bolts and slide the pan out to the rear.
  5. Remove any old gasket material which remains on the pan and/or block.

To install:

1. Use a new gasket, coated on both sides with sealer.
  2. Apply a thin bead of silicone seal to the engine block at the junction of the block and front cover, and the junction of the block and rear main bearing cap. Then apply a thin coat of silicone seal to the new oil pan gasket, install the gasket to the block and install the pan.
  3. Tighten the pan bolts in a circular pattern from the center to the ends, to 48-84 inch lbs. (6-10 Nm). Overtightening will distort the pan lip, causing leakage.
  4. Reinstall the engine mounting bolts.
  5. Refill the oil pan to the specified level.

1987-90 CA16DE, CA18DE and GA16i Engines

1. Drain the engine oil.
  2. Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands.
  3. Remove the right side splash cover. Remove the right side under cover.
  4. Remove the center member.
  5. Remove the forward section of the exhaust pipe.
  6. Remove the front buffer rod and its bracket.
  7. Remove the engine gussets.
  8. Insert a seal cutter (SST KV10111100) between the oil pan and the cylinder block.

DO NOT use a screwdriver!

1. Tapping the cutter with a hammer, slide it around the oil pan.
  2. Remove the oil pan.

To install:

1. Remove all gasket material from the pan and block mating surfaces.
  2. Apply a continuous bead (3.5-4.5mm) of RTV gasket material around the oil pan. Apply the sealer to the inner surface around the bolt holes where there is no groove.
  3. Install the pan within 5 minutes. Do not allow the sealer to dry. Tighten the pan bolts in a circular pattern from the center to the ends, to 48-84 inch lbs. (6-10 Nm). Overtightening will distort the pan lip, causing leakage.
  4. Install the engine gussets, buffer rod, exhaust pipe and center member.
  5. Install the right side splash cover and the right side under cover.
  6. Refill the oil pan to the specified level. Start engine and check for oil leaks.

1991-96 GA16DE Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the under covers.
  4. Remove the oil pan plug and drain the oil into a container.
  5. Remove the front exhaust tube.
  6. Remove center crossmember assembly.
  7. Remove the support brackets from the sides of the oil pan.
  8. Remove the oil pan mounting bolts. Using the oil pan seal cutter tool KV10111100 or equivalent, separate the oil pan from the engine.

WARNING Do not drive the seal cutter into the oil pump or rear oil seal retainer portion, for the aluminum mating surfaces will be damaged. Do not use a prybar to remove the oil pan; the flange will be deformed.

1. Clean all the sealing surfaces.

To install:

1. Apply sealant to the rear oil seal retainer.
  2. Apply a 0.128-0.177 in. (3.5-4.5 mm) continuous bead of liquid gasket to the oil pan mating surface.
  3. Install the oil pan and torque the oil pan mounting bolts/nuts in sequence to 56-73 inch lbs. (6.3-8.3 Nm).
  4. Install the oil pan support brackets.
  5. Install the center crossmember.
  6. Install the front exhaust tube.
  7. Install the under covers.
  8. Using a new gasket, install the oil pan plug and tighten the plug to 21-28 ft. lbs. (28-38 Nm).
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. After 30 minutes of gasket curing time, refill the oil pan with the specified quantity of clean oil. Operate the engine and check for leaks.

1991-93 SR20DE Engine

See Figures 9, 10 and 11

FIG : Fig. 9: Oil pan assembly-SR20DE engine shown

image

: Fig. 10: A/C compressor gusset and center member removal-SR20DE engine shown

image

: Fig. 11: Removing the oil pan bolts. Cleaning all old gasket material away-SR20DE engine shown

image

1. Drain the engine oil.
  4. Remove the lower oil pan bolts and separate the pan using tool KV10111100.
  5. Remove the baffle plate and front tube.
  6. Place a transmission jack under the transaxle and raise.
  7. Remove the center member and automatic transaxle shift control cable.
  8. Remove the compressor gussets.
  9. Remove the rear cover plate and aluminum oil pan bolts.
  10. Remove the 2 engine-to-transaxle bolts and install them into the vacant holes. Tighten the bolts to release the oil pan from the cylinder block. The oil pan removing tool KV10111100 or equivalent, may have to be used to release the pan from the block.

To install:

1. Remove all old gasket material from the pan and block mating surfaces.
  3. Install the pan within 5 minutes. Tighten the pan bolts in a circular pattern from the center to the ends, to 48-84 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm). Overtightening will distort the pan lip, causing leakage.
  4. Install the 2 transaxle bolts.
  5. Install the rear cover, compressor gussets, automatic shift cable, center member and lower the transaxle jack.
  6. Install the front tube and baffle plate.
  7. Remove all old liquid gasket from the lower pan and upper pan surfaces.
  8. Apply a continuous bead (3.5-4.5mm) of RTV gasket material around the oil pan. Apply the sealer to the inner surface around the bolt holes where there is no groove.
  9. Install the pan within 5 minutes. Tighten the pan bolts in a circular pattern from the center to the ends, to 48-84 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm). Overtightening will distort the pan lip, causing leakage.
  10. Install the remaining components.
  11. Wait at least 30 minutes before refilling with oil.
  12. Refill the engine with oil. Start the engine and check for leaks.