Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

1999 Nissan Altima: my back break lights wont come off what can I do

I have an 1999 Nissan Altima and my back break lights wont come off what can I do?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
This is normally a problem with the brake light switch, or the grommet that is suppose to be in the brake pedal lever that rests against the brake light switch.
Take a look at the lever and see if there is an open hole on it. If there is you can usually put a bolt in it to get the lights out.
If not, then you should unplug the brake light switch. There are 2 up there so make sure to unplug the right one. The other is the cruise control cancel switch. Here is a diagram to help!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey im chic. is the lever inside the car or outside the car? and also where is the brake light switch thank you so much
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
This is the lever that holds the brake pedal inside the car. You have to look up under the dash on the drivers side and follow the brake pedal arm up and you will see the switches. If you look at the diagram and then the car,it will make more sense!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Im bout to go outside and try now you are very appreciated I dont wont my battery to go dead!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome! Let me know how you make out!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cant do it Can I just turn it off from the fuse box to keep my battery from going dead
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry! Lost my internet connection last night! You can remove the fuse or disconnect the battery. Let me know if you still need assistance! I am sorry!