Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2001 Nissan Frontier: Speedometer stopped working, it is in a Cluster

Have a 2001 Nissan Frontier and the Speedometer stopped working, it is in a Cluster, got a replacement Cluster and still does not work. Any suggestions on what else to check.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The check engine light is on but it came on before the speedometer quit my husband said it came on when he thought because he didn't tighten the Gas Cap after a fill.
Ok, it is likely on because the speed sensor has gone bad on the transmission. If it is possible, can you get the truck to a parts store and have them read the code for you? We are looking for code P0500. This would indicate the speed sensor. If not, then there is a wiring issue to the speedo head. The code would be nice. Most parts stores don't charge you to read the codes.