Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

SES codes U1001 P1212 P0345 Engine starts but cranks long before staritng and 5

SES codes
U1001
P1212
P0345

Engine starts but cranks long before staritng and 5 speed transmission is stuck in 5th limp mode
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you have a ABS light on also?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Just the SES light has come on. The ECU was replaced in the past under warranty. All 6 induction coils were replaced last year about this time and a new negative battery terminal cable was installed. Car idles fine but when you rev the motor as it returns to idle the rpms will spike again on it's own after the accelerator was initial released and then idle is in the normal rpm range.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Yeah, I know about the condition where the Negative Battery cable breaks at the trans causing unbalanced voltage to the coils which end up burning out the computer so all 3 things need to be replaced to correct it.

The reason I am asking about the ABS light is cause code P1212 is a code for communication to the TCS system which is control by the ABS. That would also explain the U1001 code. That is a CAN code which is a communication code between one or more of the control units is not responding. Which could be the ABS system. That would need advanced level diagnosing to determine that.

The code P0345 is for a Cam sensor Bank 2. That is the Cam sensor on the back of the cylinder head towards the front of the car by the radiator. It's fairly easy to replace if you would like to replace it your self.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By TCS system I assume you mean the Traction Control System which my vehicle does not have. The ABS unit also failed and was replaced under warranty. The transmission grounding straps are accessible from the engine bay or do I have to jack the car up. I will replace the CAM Sensor and see if that fixes the issues or improves the situation. Also a crate motor was installed under warranty due to a unfixable misfire condition. Nothing but problems for this certified used purchase. Thanks for your feedback.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like the car was rebuilt. If you have ABS you have TCS. Yes that is Traction Control System. That is controlled by the ABS system. That code along with the U1001 code I would have checked. The cam sensor is easy I think you can do it your self. Here is image of there location. Your code is for Bank 2.graphic

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer