Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2007 Nissan: keyless..a fob battery issue, and there..housing..plastic

2007 Nissan Versa keyless ignition issue

Sometimes (and it's totally unpredictable) I can't get the keyless ignition button to turn past the point where the engine will start. It's not a fob battery issue, and there's no problem with the starter. It just feels like there's something a little off in the housing (or whatever you call it) of the plastic turn thingy: you go to turn it all the way and it's obstructed. Then you sit there in the blazing sun (or in a deserted parking lot in the dead of night) trying desperately to turn it. You try inserting the actual key--same problem. You try puttiing the key in various places (pocket, puirse, waving it around like a wand). Nothing. It's just not communicating or something. Then, for no reason that I can fathom, it works.

I'd estimate this happens about 15% of the time.

Question: Any ideas as to how to get the !#@$% "intelligent key" to recognize its function? Please help!
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

When this happens, is the steering wheel locked as well?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, the steering wheel position doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. It doesn't have to be locked.
I have not seen any issues like you are describing, but I would check the Key Fob antenna's and see if they are all working properly. How many miles do you have on this car?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
62,000 miles. I'll try checking the antennas, as soon as I can figure out how to do that. And if I'm wrong about the steering wheel, would would this mean? What's the relationship between the wheel position and the "intelligent key"?
Well if the steering wheel is locked, the key knob will not turn unless it's unlocked. That is what my thought may be. That knob also is suppose to be pressed in and turned to release the steering wheel if locked. As for the antenna's, I don't think that is something you are going to be able to check. There are 4 or 5 antenna's in and around your car. If one of them isn't working right that could be the intermittent key working issue also. I would have the antenna's checked at the dealer since they have all proper equipment to check and diagnose this problem, if it's not a steering wheel lock issue that is.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!