Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

ATP light on a pathfinder is on and i cant get the car to

ATP light on a pathfinder is on and i can't get the car to shift out of park without going to 4wd. in 2wd it makes a grinding sound.

More details:
Car was just in a small collision with most impact at back and some in front but drove 125 miles back home afterward. Car then wouldnt start next day at home. Car jump started and ATP light on and it would not shift out of park. After transferring car to 4wd, it would shift gears. however, cannot go faster than 15mph. Trying to drive in 2wd results in loud screetching.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Try turning the truck off, and putting the truck in Neutral and then take it out of 4 wheel and put it in 2 wheel and see if that takes care of your problem.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Edited by Jay on 6/3/2010 at 11:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jay,

I have tried that. the only way i can shift out of park once the SUV is started is by going to 4wd low. putting either the transfer out of 4wd will not allow me to select any gears on the transmission.

could i have a shift interlock or lock control issue or is this potential a sympton of something much larger?

thanks,

keith

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
The only way to get the truck out of 4 low is if the truck is in neutral. So maybe try it with the truck running, or try it with the truck off, or maybe if let it roll a little to see if you can get the truck out of 4 low. If you can't then something may be tweaked and is keeping it from disengaging. The shift interlock does not come into play with theXXXXX It's just for the shifter to be able to be released when locked.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jay,

to be clear, the truck is only in 4L because i put it into 4L after starting. Once the car is turned on, i cannot shift out of park unless i put the transfer into 4wd. once i take the car out of 4wd, it doesnt matter what the transmission select says, the car operates as if its in neutral and trying to select a different position will cause screetching.

As i mentioend, i need to jump start the car to get it on. is there an electrical tie in that may be the reason why the ATP light is on, why i need to shift to 4wd to get the transmission out of park and why i cannot put the transfer into 2wd?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
The shifter lever, the selector that goes from Park to Drive. That needs to be in neutral to get the truck out of 4 low. The tuck can not get out of 4 low if you don't have the shift lever in neutral. It doesn't mater if the truck is running or not, since it a manual lever.

Did you have the battery checked to see if it's good or not? Maybe it's a bad battery that is causing you to have it jumped all the time.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

unfortunately, the battery was just replaced 2 months ago. the car was in an accident on monday and made it theXXXXXhome (125 miles) and then wouldnt start afteward. my suspicion is alternator isn't working due to the accident as that may explain why a new battery isn't working properly and the car needs to be jumped.

What i would really like to be able to do, is get the car back drivable so i can drive it to a repair shop. but as is, even if jump started then i get the ATP light and cannot shift the transmission selector out of park wihtout changing the transfer control to 4L. in that mode, i can drive around 15mph max.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok, listen, with out getting the truck to start, can you get the shifter to go into neutral? Not theXXXXXlever, the shifter?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the shifter will not move from Park when the car is off. it only moves from Park when the car is on after the transfer is set to 4wd. i havent tried the shift over-ride switch

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Try this, turn the key one click forward and step on the brake and let me know if you can move the shifter. Also did you try the emergency shift release? I am trying to get the shifter into neutral with out the truck running.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
I need to step out for about 1/2 hour or so, when I return I will continue to help you.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi jay, i will try this in a little bit (i.e. about 2 hours) as the SUV is at home and i am at work at the moment. i will try both the emergency shift release and the key/brake option you mentioned.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
That's fine. I will be online till late tonight, so give me a shout once you try.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jay,

Turning the key one click forward and depressing the brake light does allow me to shift out of park and into neutral. should i try to jump start the car now while it is in neutral instead of park?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
No

Lets move theXXXXXshifter to 2wd, then put back in park and start the truck and see where were at.

thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jay - you're the man! that worked. car started, no ATP light and did a quick little joy ride around the street and hit up to 40mph then turned the car off and restarted just to make sure.

Out of question, what was causing the ATP problem and is it something i should be concerned with?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
The problem was the transfer case wasn't in gear properly and locked you in 4 low. So I just instructed you on how to get out of 4 low.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cool, so this should just be a one time thing then?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Should be. It's not a electronic system. Maybe it got bumped and put you in that situation.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer