Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2001 Sentra: rough Idle..my car without replacing the wiring harness

My 2001 Sentra has a very rough Idle and will only go a couple of inches before it dies?
The Nissan dealership wants $1700 to put a new wiring harness in. Is there a way to fix my car without replacing the wiring harness?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

What are they saying the problem is exactly? Did they isolate the problem in the harness to verify that it's actually the harness?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nissan says they do not have confidence in the wiring harness and they can not make a proper diagnosis without changing it out.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Is there any codes? There is ways to check the harness before condemning it.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cylinders misfiring

low voltage to the coils

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Did they measure voltage output from the computer? The computer supply's the voltage. Did they also check to make sure it's not a head gasket issue?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nissan says the voltage output is good.

the head gasket is good

they say from the computer to the harness thru coils its bad

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Did they voltage drop the harness. 1800 seems a bit much for parts and labor for replacing that harness.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the voltage varies
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Well since I am not there to inspect it, I will have to go by what they are saying. Even though I rarely see the harness as a problem. I would shop around and see if you can get a better price. It sounds like they already have been throwing parts at the car and that is not working, so what next if you put a 1800 harness in the car and it still doesn't work. I would get a second option. Sounds like you have put to much money in parts in this car with not change.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Jay,

Looks like we are going to have to spend that 1800 if we want our car to run again.

Sorry you didn't have an easy inexpensive fix for us.

Thank For the Communication,

Cindy and John

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
I would rather you get a second opinion on the problem before spending that much money. But if you feel that will fix the car, that is your discussion.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer