Carp
Carp, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan Senior Specialist Technican, A.S.E. Master Auto Tecnician. Nissan Excellence Award Winner
38021804

2000 Nissan Altima: Air conditioning unit..freon..blowing..warm air

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima. Air conditioning unit has had freon filled. But one minute air is ice cold and the next minute it is blowing only warm air. Is there a switch somewhere that may be sticking ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Carp replied 4 years ago.
I can help you with your A/C questions. First though let me ask, does the temp seem to get colder as the car is moving and warmer when the car is stopped or at idle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No - it doesn't matter if car is idling or going down the road. It may work ok all day starting, stopping, shutting car off or on - or while traveling down the road air will go back and forth from cold to warm.
Expert:  Carp replied 4 years ago.
Thats help me , a couple more questions, is your altima equipted with automatic climate control, with the digital read out or does is have the turn/slide knobs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Not automatic climate control. Slide knob for temperature - push button to turn A/C on or off.  Car is a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE</p>
Expert:  Carp replied 4 years ago.

From what you have told me it sounds like the a/c works great when its working, that tells me that all the components that actually make the air blow cold are doing their job. Its also tells me that from some reason the a/c is loosing power(a.k.a) "command on signal". That narrows down the list of possbile failures to just a few things. There are 4 things that can go bad that will cause your problem. In my experience starting with the most likely failing part is the A/C Clutch relay. The relay provides power to the a/c compressor, this is electrical component and over time it will wear out and start to intermittently fail. This is located under the hood is the under fusebox. The second item is the a/c control head. That the part part inside with all the knobs and fan setting. These fail for the same reasons as the a/c relay. The last two items I hardly see go bad and dont think they are is the a/c compressor clutch and the a/c pressure switch. If either of the fail they wont work at all. So I would start with that relay. I will attach a picture to help you out. Also a little trick, you swap the a/c relay with another relay from that fuse box. Just make sure the relays look EXACTLY the same. If possible try use a horn relay.

I hope this helps out, I dont know how handy you are with a dvom, but if needed i can give some detailed instructions on checking circuits.

graphic

.

Carp, Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan Senior Specialist Technican, A.S.E. Master Auto Tecnician. Nissan Excellence Award Winner