Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2005 Nissan Xterra: timing chain..noisy..rattling..whining..1500

My 2005 Nissan Xterra needs a timing chain replacement (noisy startup, rattling from engine and whining upon acceleration)-the dealer wants 1500- obviously mostly labor...
what do you think?
Thanks

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Are they replacing the tensioners as well?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This was a general quote...I would ask for that to be done also and be included if you think it is needed...

Ok, as a general rule, if you have noise at startup then they should also be replaced. I would of course have this diagnosed prior to just doing it. The whining isn't really that common for the chain, but the rattle sure is.

As for the quote, it is within reason. I am showing 8.5 hours labor for the chain, then with the extras, tensioners, oil change and coolant I think it is an ok price. Especially at the dealership.

Hope this helps! Please reply if you have more questions!

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The whining is the sound also that occurs during normal driving...upon accelerating...almost like the engine racing....???
Many times the whining is a bearing in one of the pulleys or possibly the alternator. You can remove the belt and fire up the truck and see if the whining is still there. If it is,then you know it is internal. If not, check the pulleys and see if you have one that is a little rough when you spin it. If you have one that is binding or rough, then it is likely the one that is making the whining sound.