Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

2004 Nissan 350Z: sync and, if so, how do you reset them

Customer Question

Can the windows on a 2004 Nissan 350Z get out of sync and, if so, how do you reset them?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX kind of problems are you having?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

The passenger side window has been acting wacky for a while. When I lower the window and then raise it, it will go back down about a third of the way. Also, those windows also have an automatic lowering mechanism when you open the door so when you close the door, the window raises automatically to create the seal. The passenger side has stopped doing that. The drivers side has decided to work only when it wants to. If it is stuck in the up position, I can give it a wack while engaging the switch and it will go down. As long as I don't let it go all the way down, it will go back up with no problem. If it goes all the way down, same procedure is done, I just give it a little wack in another spot on the panel. I have already replaced the relay switch and that didn't fix the problems. I just have a hard time believing both motors have gone bad. I have heard those windows can get out of sync. Can I fix this myself?

Kelly Page

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
This is caused by the limit switch out of adjustment on the window regulator, there is a reset procedure for this, i will post it below,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
1.Remove the Door Panel.

^Refer to the applicable Service Manual for Door Panel removal instructions

2.With the door open, lift UP and HOLD the Window Switch until the Window is fully closed.

^Do not use the Window auto-closing function

^Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully closed

3.Get inside the vehicle and close the door.

^You need to close the door so the Door Switch is fully depressed

4.Press and HOLD the Window Regulator Motor Reset Switch. While holding the Reset Switch, press DOWN and HOLD the Window Switch until the Window is fully opened.

^Do not use the Window auto-opening function

^Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully opened

5.Release the Reset Switch. Then, lift UP and HOLD the Window Switch until the Window is fully closed.

6.Open the Door to release the Door Switch. The Window Glass should partially move down.

7.Re-install the Door Panel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In the directions you gave me, when raising and lowering the windows in the various steps it is imperative not to use the auto open part of the switch. Correct? There is a fine line there on that function of the switch. If I screw up, then just start over and repeat the steps? Also, I contacted the dealership and he gave me some schpill about the 350Z having to be put on a computer to resync the windows. Was he just feeding me a load of BS to get another $125.00 out of me?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
you dont need a computer to sync these, yes it is imperitive that the auto function not be used, just push the button enough to pu the window dowwn, if you accidently trigger the auto, just start all over,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tim. I will give it a try. You have been a great help. Seems like I have already wasted $262.00 on the relay switch which is a dealer only part and can't be returned. Hopefully this will cure the ills.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
anytime my friend, let me know if you need anymore help,Tim