Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

on a 2003 nissan sentra 1.8 liter the timing mark for the bottomt

on a 2003 nissan sentra 1.8 liter the timing mark for the bottomt shows the alignment stamp to be at the 9 o'clock position but mine is straight across from the crankshaft key position
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
These are the correct marks.

What was done to your car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my timing chain only has two links that are colored different and we can't get it in time

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok was the timing chain removed completely from the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it is the original timing chain. All we did was pull it to put a head gasket on.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK when you took the head off did you make sure the crank and cams were at TDC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK thats the issue .You need to remove the chain from the cmas .Set the crank to TDC and the cams and install the chain and you should be good then .Its sounds likel you are way out of time right now.This is the next step.Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are the cams suppose to be in the position of the illustration when the crank is at TDC?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes correct.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Qualified to repair all makes and models.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried that but it did not work.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
What it will not line up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had the crank at TDC & had the cams as shown, also tried at both comp. strokes & will not start.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK have you checked compression you might have bent valves .