Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, 30+ years in the car repair business.

My cars oil dipstick is broken and the whole thing is stuck in it (

I just found out that my cars oil dipstick is broken and the whole thing is stuck in it (except the head part of course). I am not sure how to take it out now, and the oil needs to be changed soon.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dj replied 6 years ago.

The only practical way to repair this is to remove the pan and pull it out from the bottom.

Don't push it down any more. It it gets loose in the pan it could cause a lot of damage.

If you leave it and just plug the dip stick hole so oil doesn't come out, it won't hurt anything. But you won't be able to check the oil either.

If you don't have any oil leaks and it doesn't burn an excessive amount of oil, the amount of oil usage should be fairly predictable. Just set your trip meter and put in a quart every 2,000 miles or so.

Then when you have to do some significant repair that requires the pan to be removed, do it then.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you need more help, just ask. If you feel that my response isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Hey Dj, thanks for the quick respond. Very helpful.. I was actually planing to do about a thousand miles this weekend, but i am very scared to be broken down in the middle of the highway or something like this. What happens if the stick goes down because of the vibration?? Should I drive?</p>
Expert:  Dj replied 6 years ago.

First off, I'm sorry I took so long to answer your question. Jobs alway get in the way of life.

There's no guarantees that the dispstick isn't going to continue to drop and get wound up in the crank case.

It depends a lot on how much dispstick is left in the hole. If it broke off at or very near the handle, there would be a long piece in the hole and it would be pretty stable. If the piece in the hole is shorter, there is a greater chance that it would come lose and cause damage.

I got the impression from your first question that the dipstick broke at the handle. That would be the best place for it to break. The dipstick can only drop about an inch or so because it will hit the bottom of the pan. Since it's not flexible, it should stay in place.

I thought of another option last night. I don't recall how much of a tube is sticking out of the block. If there is enough tube that you can stick a rod or screwdriver down the hole and feel the end of the dipstick and the end is within that tube, you would have a couple of choices.

Bandaid fix would be to take a vice grip and crush the tub onto the dipstick.

The better fix would be to pull the dipstick tube out of the block along with the dipstick and replace both.

Is there any way you could send me a picture of the tube with a screwdriver in the hole resting on the end of the remaining dipstick?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks.. This info is very helpfull, but the answer came kind of late. I took my risk and drove the car down to San Diego from San Francisco and I made over 1000 miles on it. Nothing happened to the car and I even made additional 1500 miles after all. As I have adviced, I had one quart oil for the engine and the car has been functioning pretty well. Would you think that the dipstick is somewhere solid?
Expert:  Dj replied 6 years ago.

I'm glad your trip went well and nothing happened. That had to be a bit stressful.

I expect the dipstick is still in the tube, but it depends on where it broke off.