Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

95 nissan altima: wont start..I already replaced the battery two days

My 95 nissan altima wont start. I turn the key and nothing happens, no noise no nothing. I already replaced the battery two days ago and everthing had been working fine? What could be the problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Is it an automatic or manual transmission? Also, do you have power to other electrical and lastly, did it start after you replaced the battery a few days ago?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a automatic and the car has been working fine these past coupple of days after the new battery went in

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, do you have power for the headlight and wipers and such?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes my stereo power still works
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Like to have you try putting the car into neutral and seeing if you get at least a click type of noise when trying to start it.Let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well i hurd a slight buzzing sound although I could make it clear.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so you are getting some sound when you try to start it? I would try a jump start first.You may have a draw on the battery causing it to drain,or the alternator may not be charging up to par. So start by trying a start and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to jump already and same thing nothing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Next you will have to check the starter.Sometimes if someone taps the starter while you try to start the car, if the starter is no good it might turn over. Also, check your battery connection to the starter and to the engine block coming off the battery. If the contacts are dirty it might not be getting all the power to the starter,.The starter is under the car at the back of the engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So do you want me to check the starter and cables, should someone tap the starter
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
someone should tap the starter while you try to start it.Normally you should hear a rapid clicking noise which I think you may be calling a buzzing. This normally indicates a power problem,but it can be a starter issue. So check the cables and if they look good, then try to start it and have someone tap the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The buzzing sound is still there
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
So this buzzing is only happening when you try to crank the engine right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
right
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
yeah, I think you either have a dead battery or a bad starter. If trying the tapping didn't work and the cables looked good, I think you should have the battery tested and if it tests good,then get the starter out and test that
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how does the starter look like? and where can I find it? I tried jumping it and still nothing happened. Is this right even with a brand new battery?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

image

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well we tapped the starter and the car started just fine, so now what... do I need a new starter?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

yes

put a starter in it because this one is failing.It is just a matter of time before the tapping trick won't work and you will be stranded

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lately the oil lamp light comes on when I'm at a stop and then goes away and it keeps doing this on and off, could changing the starter fix this issue?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
No,it will not.If the oil light is coming on then there is either low oil, a problem with the oil pump, or a problem with the oil sending unit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see. Is the starter easy to change out on a do it yourself printout or should I just have someone like a expert do it?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
It is not the easiest thing on the car to change. If you don't have much experience it is better to let a pro do it.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.