eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5........the ABS light came on

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5........the ABS light came on and stays on. Is this an expensive repair ? Can it be done at my local garage ? Thanks
[email protected]
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 6 years ago.

The airbag light will only come on when the SRS(safety restraint system) control module detects a fault in the SRS system. This can range from a faulty seatbelt pretensioner, faulty airbag, faulty crash sensor, open/short in the wiring harness of SRS components, or faulty SRS control module.

Any shop with a diagnostic scanner with ABS capabilities(which almost all do have this) can read the SRS control module for stored fault code(s) in order to find what area the problem is in. At that point, pinpoint diagnostics is done to find the root cause of the problem.

Diagnostic charge is 1-1 1/2 hrs labor, depending on how far they need to go to pinpoint problem.

Repair costs can range from under $100 for a simple wiring harness repair of a chafed wire causing a short in system, to upwards of a $1000 for parts and labor for a failed SRS control module. Until the exact problem is pinpointed, there simply is no way to accurately tell you what exact repair costs will run due to how many different problems can set this light.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked about the ABS ( Anti-lock brake ) light.......when I start driving on the highway it feels like a brake is trying to come on , then 3 lights come on ( ABS , TCS { off } Slip )
Expert:  eric replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry, thought it was airbag.

Ok, the abs light comes on when it detects a fault in the abs system. This can range from faulty wheel speed sensor in one of the 4 wheels, wiring issue, or abs control module. The other lights are on due to the abs light being on, as these all tie in to the abs system.

All shops I know of are equipped with a diagnostic scanner with ABS capability to read the ABS control module for stored fault codes. Diagnostic time should be 1 hour labor.

Repair costs range from less than $100 for wiring issue, $250-300 for faulty wheel speed sensor, to $750 -800 for control module or hydraulic unit.

Based upon your description, I suspect either a faulty control module or wiring harness issue.

Again, sorry for misreading it