Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 18 years exp. in this field.

My 2002 Nissan Maxima will not start. When I turn the ignition,

My 2002 Nissan Maxima will not start. When I turn the ignition, nothing happens but when I turn it off, I then hear a fluttering sound. I had just driven the car to church and it has been working fine.

HelloCustomer Welcome to justanswer!

Try jump starting the car. Any luck?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just got a ride home and was trying to decide if I should call a tow truck to take it to my mechanic or not -- so I haven't tried a jump start yet.
YOu really should tow it. It sounds like you have a bad starter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it the fluttering sound after turning it off that makes you think it is the starter?

Does the sound go away?

Where is it exactly coming from?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like it is coming from something in the car, not the engine. My husband is familiar with the rapid clicking that is associated with a bad starter and this is not that sound. It is a soft fluttering sound coming from vicinity of the steering wheel, not the engine.
The fluttering makes me suspect a low battery. Try a jump start. If a jump works then have the battery and Alternator checked soon. If it does not work you need to have the starter and security system checked.