Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

1984 nissan 300zx: turbo..idles..a little rough until it warms..pickup

Customer Question

on my 1984 nisson 300zx turbo, it idles a little rough until it warms up, but then when it really warms up it dies and you have to let it cool down before it will start again, I believe its the pickup module, or is it called the ignition control module?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

Yes this is usually caused by the coil.Heres a test to help.

Hoped this helped .

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Qualified to repair all makes and models.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks it must be the coil, as all the components of the tune up are new
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay still having the same problem not getting any spark, had the coil tested and it's fine. When it did start before we lost spark, the idle was so rough that it would not stay started and you could not rev the engin up, it cut out.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok how's timing and compression?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
both are good. not the auto store did say the coil was alittle week could this be most of the problem, and how about the catalitic converter? that could cause the rough and non idle correct? the car has been sitting a while, but has a good fuel pump and flowing well.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok the coil can cause this but first disconnect the exhaust before the cat and see if there's a difference let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, there was shards of metal coming out of the exaust for a bit
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK thats telling you thats cat is done it deteriated internally.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, and that could be a big part of the problem as far as the rough running?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes absolutely.Could be the entire problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will try that and tel you know
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay we changed the coil and still no spark
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok what about the cat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have not changed that yet? is there a way to disconect it?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes disconnect the exhaust before the cat.But still no spark and the distributer is good?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, then is there a way to check the distribuer?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
See if there are any signs of debris ,rust or oil in the distributer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the distributer ig and looks brandnew, have not taken the cat off yet, would that cause it to not even try to turn over?, do you have a wire diagramfor the top of the engin ther are a couple wires broke one looks like it goes to the fuel presure reg, and one goes to what looks like a cylinoied just to the right of the turbo on the top of the engin as your looing at it
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok give me a little time to try to post diagrams for these.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
any luck on the diagrams yet, I think one of the wires gots the the EGR valve. Could that cause to no spark issue
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No that will not cause a no spark issue.Having trouble uploading any diagrams.I will continue to try hang in there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok no problem
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Quick question the timing did not jump or belt break correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not that I know of.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Can you check that see if the rotor turns when cranking over the motor .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it does, I did check that yesterday
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok it still could of jumped time.Which can cause this also .When was the bet changed last?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know I just bought the care a month ago, it ran ok except for the acceleration problems, it lost spark after my son decided to power wash the eng,
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok if thats the case something is shorted out you replaced the ignition control module correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that has been changed
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok I would check fuses next to make sure he did not short anything out.Does it look like water got into the distributer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no water in the dist, or wires.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Fuses are all good.No water on the ecu?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check them
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok if this all happened after the pressure wash something shorted out or got disconnected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I will keep you informed, thanks
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay I'm drawing a blank where is the ecu located?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Its located passengers kick panel alot of times water will get into there.