Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2005 Nissan Maxima: VDC,SLIP,and abs lights..on.

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima and the VDC,SLIP,and ABS lights are all on.I was told that it was the left sensor(ABS) which has been replaced and the problem has not been fixed. Any suggestions
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Left front or rear sensor?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alls I have on the sheet is Left rear sensor(which was replaced)
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
There has been some issues with the rear ABS sensors. Who did this repair? a repair shop or the dealer? Did you have any ABS codes stored? If so, do you know what they are?

Help give me some of this information so I can properly assist you in what needs to be done to correct your problem.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

SELF-DIAG RESULTS TIME

RR LH SENSOR-2 7

{C1106}

CONTROLLER FAILURE 10

[C1110]

The dealer did the test, then quoted me a stupid amount of money, so it was done by a reputable repair shop. The mechanic said the code still showed once replaced.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Well I hate to give you the bad news. The code C1110 is a ABS control unit code. Let me explain the situation to you so you can understand it properly. Your local repair shop is most likely not aware of this problem so it was not repaired properly.

There are drains in the rear knuckles, that when clogged can cause the ABS pick up ring on the the wheel bearing to build up rust which narrows the gap for the readings on the ABS sensor. Once the rust gets to high, the sensor actually scraps on the rust and shorts it out. Once this happens, some times you get wierd and erratic ABS activations when braking. Then then next thing that happens, is the sensor shorts out the ABS control unit and can cause the code C1110. Once this happens, the ABS control unit will need to be replaced as well as both rear ABS sensors. Then you will also need to take off the rear hubs and clean the pick up rings. If they can not be cleaned then the hub assembly will need to be replaced. Then you will need to remove the rear E-Brake shoes and where the clog happens in the knuckle, it will need to be grinded down and opened up a little wider so the clog will not happen again.

This is the reason you are having ABS issues, and what is involved to repair this. This is not a cheap repair and I am am sure your local repair shop was not aware of this. Hopefully the new ABS sensor is not damaged due to the rust on the Hub, other wise the new sensor would need to be replaced again.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WOULD THIS BE COVERED UNDER THE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY? THE CAR WAS ONLY PURCHASED 7MONTHS AGO FROM A NISSAN DEALERSHIP AND ONLY HAS 75 000KMS.IF IT IS NOT COVERED WHAT IS THE BALLPARK PRICE TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
This is not a power train item. Did you buy any extended warranty with the car?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NOPE......OF COURSE NOT
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Well as I said, this will be a costly repair. So you may want to sit down. You may also contact the dealer you brought the car from and see if they will assist you with this repair or even cover the repair for you.

$166 each rear ABS sensor, and $140 bucks for each rear hub assembly. Removing the hubs cleaning the knuckles and reinstalling sensors and hubs, around 4 hours labor.

The ABS control unit is what is the most expensive. The part alone is around $1000 bucks and requires around 4 hours labor also to install and bleed the ABS brake system.

These are not exact prices, but should be very close.

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer