Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2002 nissan sentra: losing coolant..The rad is hot in the middle

same 2002 nissan sentra w/no heat, losing coolant. The rad is hot in the middle. Opened the drain after running. Water draining out is about 140 F, At the top, water is scalding. I will try bleeding it again. Then I will try a sealer, K & W. I've got the heater core blocked off for this. Got any other recomendations?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Does the car run ruff when first started after it has been sitting? Who replaced the head gasket? Was it a Nissan gasket installed or after market?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

felpro gasket installed by a moonlighter who isn't answering his phone... I think he put some kind of sealer to keep it running long enough to sell.

Ran exhaust gas analysis of the coolant. It's leaking. I'm tearing it down .Found an extra chain tensioner sitting on shelf below the cam sprockets. I 'm ready to remove the cams

1. Any ideas on what was done wrong? torque, tightening sequence.

2. How do you secure the cam sprockets after pulling them off the cams

'preciate your help

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Well the head should be checked when a head gasket is done. This is done by a machine shop. They pressure check the head to make sure there is no cracks, and they also make sure the head surface is flat. If not flat then it will be shaved. If the head was improperly torqued that could cause the failure, when putting the head on could have damaged the gasket. The Felpro is a paper gasket where the Nissan gasket is a metal gasket.

To remove the Cam sprockets from the cam, you need a 22 mm wrench to hold the cam, then crack the bolt that holds the sprocket loose to remove the sprockets.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One source asays put air to the oil source for the variable intake cam actuator to move the sprocket to the advanced position & pin it with an 1.5 mm Allen before taking tension off the tensioner. I've tried this & nothing seems to be happening, the cam & sprocket are still locked.

Is this necessary?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
The sprocket just unbolts from the cam. You will find about 2 to 4 lobs back from the sprocket there is a place to hold the cam with a wrench. Then after you have a wrench holding the cam you just loosen the nut that holds the sprocket on the cam. I have never heard or have done that 1.5 mm thing you are talking about and I have done a ton.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer