Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

1999 nissan quest: intake manifold..hoses..bolts..throttle body

I am trying to remove the Upper intake manifold (plenum) on a 1999 nissan quest. The Haynes repair manual says to remove all wires, hoses, air intake duct ect. Then remove ground straps, bolts and remove the manifold with throttle body attached. What about the rear of the plenum? It seems stuck and sealed. It has a wiring conduit entering the left side. If I pry or pull any harder I feel I will break an expensive plenum. How do I remove the plenum?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

The only thing on the back of the plentum is the tube for the egr valve. If you don't have it removed then you can't get the plentum off. I don't recall any wiring harnesses attached back there.Just the egr tube.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The wiring harness turned out to be a vacumn line with conduit around it. There was a bracket on the left back side I had to remove, Now somthing around the egr is holding the plentum. How much around the throttle body or egr has to come off? the Haynes manual is silent on these important steps. If I continue to pry somthing will break.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

I suspect the egr tube is what is holding you up. Here is a diagram of it. It may be easier to unbolt the egr from the manifold then actually getting this tube off. I am sorry,I am unable to get the diagram to load. I would try removing the egr. You can leave the throttle body attached to it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got the plentum off by removing the egr base. Another question, I got the timing cover off. the Haynes manual says to verify tdc by making sure camshaft sproket aligns with mark on timing belt cover. It does. Also the crankshaft sproket should align with mark on oil pump housing. It does not. It is a little off. The belt is good, and tight enough not to slip.Why and what should I do? My original problem started when the distributor came out(don't know why) and broke a distributor gear on the front cam. I want to replace the cam. I have 30 plus years as a GM medium- heavy duty truck mechanic but don't know much about a Nissan van. I have a older nissan pickup and have done a lot on it over the years. I did accept the other question and hope ypu can help me again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
How close is it? like a half a tooth or several?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I goofed. I was looking at the shield over the gear. It has a similar mark. When I moved the shield the actual mark did align. Thanks I may be calling on you again before this project is over. It is going slow because I am doing this in my spare time which I have little of. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the accept!

If you have more questions for me just start the post with carguy1 in the beginning and I will get it and help you out!

Thanks again,