Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

my 2000 nissan xterra keeps overheating after 10 min of run

my 2000 nissan xterra keeps overheating after 10 min of run time, took the thermostat out still kept over heating, flushed the radiator, still over heaing, found after 10 min of run time the motor pushes water into the resevoir, then over heats. the heater coil has not worked in a while but the truck still didnt over heat this quick. what could my problem be
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Does it matter if the a/c is on or not?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no most of the time it s off
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

Ok,I suspect you may have a possible head gasket issue. It may be putting hot exhaust into the coolant and causing the overheat. You should get a combustion test kit and check for exhaust gases in the cooling system.

If you can eliminate this, then you may want to try a water pump.If the pump isn't moving the coolant like it should it will overheat as well. I haven't seen many problems with the water pumps on these because the fins are good and solid,make of steel.So they don't tend to break. This is where I would start. Also, make sure you are getting all of the air pockets out when you refill the coolant. There is a bleeder that must be removed when refilling the coolant. It is located on top of the upper intake and is a ten mm bolt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would this explain why there is white smoke coming out of tail pipe
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yes,White smoke is typical of a head gasket problem. It is usually what happens when the coolant is getting into the cylinder. The truck might be overheating because it is running low on coolant if it is exiting the system through the exhaust.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.