Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

2000 nissan maxima: automatic transmission..a high pitch whining noise

Customer Question

2000 nissan maxima automatic transmission makes a high pitch whining noise when i put it in gear
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 6 years ago.

If you have a whine noise only in gear this is a internal bearing type noise it will need to be taken apart to check all bearing inside to find the bad part. Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

need more info. here is whats happending when the car is at idle and in gear drive or reverse it makes that loud noise almost like a loosen power steering belt but when i drive off it goes away and when i stop it starts again.

Expert:  Roy replied 6 years ago.

If you have a noise that goes away like a loose drive belt squeal it can stop as engine RPM increases . I would start by having all belts tightened ,or replaced if belts get glazed from slipping they will act the way you have described can be noisy at times when in gear not moving this is where you should start this is what your noise could be if goes away at times, let me know if you have more questions ROY!