Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2006 Nissan Armada has a clicking sound coming from beneath

My 2006 Nissan Armada has a clicking sound coming from beneath the dash and behind the glove box. The sound comes and goes. So, after enough of the agravation, My current wife brought it the dealer for an inspection. She returned with a Recommended Action Plan that reported the Heater Unit is the culprit. Currrently, the air and heat do work, albeit the clicking noise is becoming more menacing. To repair the issue, the dealer charges $1725.00. I'm a little preturbed because the car in less than 4 years old and has 40K miles. What do you suggest?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Please remember, noises are very tough to determine with out hearing.

This noise you are hearing, if you change your modes from lets say floor to face to defrost, does the clicking stop or change?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm at the office and the car is at home. I'll be home in about 30 minutes. However, from my first hand experience, in aXXXXXit will occur 5-7 times and is loud enough to hear over the radio, yet it only lasts about 3-5seconds at a time.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
I will be off line in about 30 mins.

Try this and we can continue this tomorrow evening. Go through the Air modes. Put the air on feet, and move your way to defrost and see if you can make it click. I think you just need a mode door actuator which does not require replacing the entire air box. This is why I am asking to go through the modes. If you can determine that this clicking ( example ) only clicks on lets say Face, and not on any other modes, then you know it's the mode door actuator. Also switch from hot to cold. It could be the temp control actuator. Try to narrow it down and get back to me tomorrow evening. I am normally on at 7 pm EST.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jay, you are a STUD! I will precisely peform your troubleshooting and see what occurs. By the way, your questioning made me recall something the Service Advisor mentioned in his email to me after I very cordially voiced my concern over having this type of repair with a 3 + year old car... He said the following:

"The part which went bad on your Armada is not something we see very often, but with the heat we live in here in Arizona, it is not usual to see plastic parts break or become brittle. The complete dash of your vehicle has to come out to replace this component."

As the Advisor stated, I do live in Arizona. Does the fact he mentions a plastic part help you determining the cause. Are the doors of the heater unit plastic? I can't imagine the entire heater unit is plastic, is it? Just a thought...

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
So are the gears inside these motors. Lets just do the trouble shooting first. Worry about plastic later.

I will talk to you tomorrow evening. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I can handle that.... Have a nice evening. Catch you tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Will do. Have a good night and talk to you tomorrow. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yo! Jay,

Good evening. I hope you are having a nice evening.

I performed your troubleshooting routines. The only time I could get the clicking noise (which comes more from behind the radio console than the glove box) is when I reduce the temperature dial down from 72-70 degrees all the way to 60 degrees. During the temp downslide, if I stopped at 65 degrees the clicking usually didn't occur; however every time I turned the dial one more turn to the left advancing the temp down from 65 degrees to 60 degrees the clicking began every time. This scenario was true for AC on and AC off and in each of the modes. Essentially, if I left the temp setting alone, I could scroll through all modes, AC & heater without the clicking noise ever occurring.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Good work. I think this will help me to help you. Can you tell me if you have auto air or manual air?

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have auto air, with a Dual passenger setting/dial, as well. Which my wife still can't figure out how to use...
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Darn! I hate to tell you that air mix door actuator is most likely the problem. To replace it, the dash may need to be removed. If I looked up the part right, the part is around 40 bucks. I would get a second opinion to see if they can get it with out removing the dash, but that sits right on top of the air box assembly and doesn't look easy to get to. But since you have verified that the noise can be controlled by the temperature setting, that is most likely your problem.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer