Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2001 nissan sentra gxe: it keep burning one of the coils

we have a 2001 nissan sentra gxe 1.8. My question is why does it keep burning one of the coils? I would appreciate any suggestions and answers.
Hello and thank you for using

What I have seen that can cause coils to burn, I would check the negitive battery cable ground and make sure it's not broken on the trans. If so, then it will need to be replaced with the Ecm and all 4 coils.

The Ecm is what mainly can burn the coils. I would not replace just the one coil also. If one coil burns out, you should replace all 4. If the internal resistance get screwed up from one coil, it can effect all 4 relays.

So I would start by checking the ground, and looking into the amount of amperage going to the coil and see if it's the computer that is causing this or another coil.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Edited by Jay on 4/12/2010 at 3:45 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
even if its always the same coil getting burnt all the time, it's never a different coil.
Which one is it? Cylinder number 1 or 2?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cylinder #2
Yeah, that is what I thought. Most likely the computer is burning it out, but you should replace all 4 coils with the computer to correct this. I would also check that ground also.

I would have this double checked to verify.