Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2005 altima: wont start..I replaced cam sensor and crank sensor..coils

Customer Question

2005 altima 2.5 wont start. I replaced cam sensor and crank sensor, getting plenty fuel but no spark from coils.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Did you have codes for the cam and crank sensors?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. I replaced the head gasket. It was running when I received it to repair it but was sluggish until it get going.Everything went back together like a puzzle just fine. Its timed correct and everthing. It started a few times after and run and idle pretty good but not good acceleration. After running it for 45 minutes no start hit every now and again. No spark coming from the coils.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok,so now it flat out won't start at all? Did you already check for power and ground to the coils?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have all the grounds hooked up and the power should come from the ECM right, If the cam and crank sensors are good?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
No, you get signal from the ecm in the form of a ground. Check the red wires on the coils for battery voltage with the key on and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yep the red wires getting fire.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, Do you have a scan tool available?Not a code reader but an actual scan tool?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, this may seem like a silly question, but can you give me the location that you replaced the cam sensor at?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

At the rear of the head next to temp sensor standing on driver side.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Ok,I have seen them put in the wrong location so I had to ask!

Alright, if you crank the engine, can you see the rpms on your scan tool?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Not for sure still gettting familiar with it .It is new.But it says it displays live sensor and monitor datastreams.The rpm tries to move when it almost starts.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

you mean the tach gage on the instrument panel? I would like to have you try and get the readings with the scan tool.Also, check for any codes happening. It will tell us if the cam and crank sensors are working or not. If not,there will be a code stored.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The code that pulled up is p1111 intake valve timing control solenoid valve.Also in the data frame: Load % 100.0 ; spark adv 6 ; RPM 213 ;TP 3.1 and MAF 0.306
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, well, first,check and make sure the solenoid is plugged in all the way. Here is a diagram of its location.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its all the way in and in clipped good.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, one thing I did notice is the rpms are low. You need at least 250 rpms for the car to fire. It is possible that you have a weak battery,so I would charge it or use a jump box.We need to get the rpm to 250 before you will get any fire out of the car.
I think it is also possible there is a loose connection where the harness connector is for the
IVT solenoid and the coils plug in. This may be worth checking as well, but I would really like to see higher rpms. I know it will not start under 250
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
I have to sign off for the evening. I will be back on at 7 am eastern time. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey carguy1 I got the rpm up and it still wont start. ima have it sent to an electrical shop. Its got to be something going on with the wiring somewhere.Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX all your help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

I am sure it is electrical, just not sure where. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.Thanks