Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2004 nissan: parking brake..the 10mm nut inside the cabin..adjustment

I am trying to adjust the parking brake on my 2004 nissan armada. I found the 10mm nut inside the cabin, I've tightened it as far as it will go and the armada still rolls with the e-brake on. Is there another adjustment.... I have 4 wheel disk brakes.
Hello and thank you for using

First thing you need to adjust is the parking brake shoes behind the rotor. After you have adjusted them, then you need to adjust the brake petal. There is a emergency brake adjuster to adjust the shoes.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have rear disk brakes not a drum as displayed in the pic you attached (I had already found that picture through a google search).... I see no adjustment screw behind the disk on my brake system
Your emergency brake shoe it behind the rotor. Once you have removed the rotor you will see the shoes. You will need to remove the rear caliper and remove the rotor. Then adjust the e-brake shoes till the rotor has a snug fit and isn't loose then install the rotor completely and reinstall the caliper. Then the same for the other side.

Make sure you back off that 10 mm adjuster at the petal first before you do it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can see where the cable comes into the back of the caliper. There is a bold at that location, but it does not look adjustable. Is there a bolt or other device inside the caliper to adjust the e-brake shoes?
The adjuster can only be adjusted with the rotor off. There is a actual tool that takes the measure meant of the inner diameter of the rotor so you can properly see the shoes to that diameter. But you can do it manually also, it just a little more trial and error.

Thanks Jay!