Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
19225669

2006 nissan frontier: intermitent PROBLEMS STARTING..IT WONT START.

I HAVE A 2006 NISSIAN FRONTIER. FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS I HAVE EXPERIENCED INTERMITENT PROBLEMS STARTING THE TRUCK. IN THE EVENING IT WON'T START. tHE NEXT MORNING IT STARTS AND RUNS GREAT. THE TRUCK HAS JUST OVER 65,000 MILES AND DUE TO MY JOB I START AND STOP FREQUETLY THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 years ago.
When the truck doesn't start does the service engine soon light flash really rapidly?

If so than this is a fault of the ecm relay located in the IPDM. You can do a quick fix by swapping this relay with a non-essential relay such as the fog lamp relay until you can get a new IPDM for your truck. (the relays are not sold separately, which is why you would have to buy the whole IPDM)

Here is an image of the 2 relays you should switch.
graphic
graphic
Hope this helps, If you need further clarification just let me know.

Nathan,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thank you for your answer. I think the check enine soon light stays on continously and does not flash rapidly, but I am not sure.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 years ago.
Does the vehicle crank normally when it isn't starting? Or are you having an issue with it cranking?

Also please verify the service engine soon lights status while cranking the vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The vehicle cranks normally. Right now the truck is starting, so I will have to observe the check engine light when it fails to start.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 years ago.
Carry a pair of pliers and a printout of the illustration I provided so that if it happens again you can swap those relays and not have to call a tow truck.