Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

my car makes a very loud clicking noise while driving, it stops

my car makes a very loud clicking noise while driving, it stops when i take my foot off the gas. it is a steady clicking, and clicks at the same speed no matter what. it is an 05 nissan murano AWD SE. Any thoughts?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

When you get a clicking noise that varies with speed, the first thing that comes to mind is something caught in the tire like a rock or a nail. I would check your tires and see if that is the case.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the noise is coming from under the hood and only occurs when the gas is bbeing pressed. any thoughts?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Here is a test you could do to quickly determine if the noise is in the drive train or in the wheels like I think.

Find a empty clear road. Get the truck to about 35 mph put the windows down, then put the truck in neutral and turn the engine off and coast! See if you hear the noise. If you do, then the noise is something with in the rotation of the tires. If the noise stops, then it's something along the line of the drive train. Once you have determined this you just need to start the truck and put it back in gear and continue driving.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok and what if it is something along the line of the drive train? where do i start?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
You need to isolate if the noise is in the front or the back. Then you would need to put the truck up on a lift and turn it on and put it in gear and see where in the drive line you hear the noise coming from.

If it's in the drive line, I would suspect maybe a transfer case or rear. Make sure you have all the same size and make tires all around on your truck. If they are not all the same tire brand and size, it can cause excessive strain on the transfer case and rear and can cause them to fail.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so I did the drive test and the noise stopped as soon as I turned off the car. it noise is coming from the front in the engine. it's and awd so would the gear box coe into play on this?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
It could be a transfer case, or a axle making the noise if it's speed related. It should be checked by putting the truck on the lift and have it put into gear so the wheels turn while up in the air so you can look underneath when the wheels are turning to isolate the noise.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer