Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 nissan altima wont shift out of park. tried to change

2005 nissan altima wont shift out of park. tried to change dome light and heard a pop but cant find a fuse broken. also, now my map lights are not working either.

GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Do the brake lights work on the car?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just checked. Yes they do. Amy

OK, there are 2 fuses in the fuse box, #12 and #21. this is inside the car, check them and let me know. Here is a diagram of the fuse box.Take the fuses right out and make sure they aren't blown and let me know!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, the 21 was broke. I must not have looked carefully enough earlier. My shifter is working and so are the map lights! Ok, one more question...I think it may have blown because 1 of 2 things...1-I had my key in the ignition and the radio playing when replacing the bulb (not the car way running) or 2- I just checked the bulb I have and it says 13V, 10W and I just noticed the dome light calls for 12V 8W. Could the larger bulb have been the problem? Thanks.
is possible the bulb is the issue.It is kind of hard to say because the fuses are rated by amps. The done light circuit is always hot unless you have the door closed or the switch on the light turned off. Might not even be able to turn it off on the newer models, can't recall. Anyhow, the key in the ignition is not the factor.