Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2001 Nissan Xterra: a 3.3 liter engine

Working on a 2001 Nissan Xterra with a 3.3 liter engine. Need to know how to remove the harmonic balancer. I see two small holes for screws where I can use the tool however the holes are maybe M-6 size holes. Is there another way to remove the harmonic balancer that I am not seeing?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

There is a puller you need to use that has two bolts that are M6 - 1. The puller looks like this. See image.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not an idiot. I know what tools to use. I have a shop and I have all the tools that I need . However as I said these bolts are small will the bolots hold when pulling out the balancer.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the confusing. I can't always tell if a customer knows this stuff or not, so I tend to explain things a little to much some times.

Yes, what I do is spray some wd-40 in the holes, and make sure I thread them in almost all the way. If you only thread them in a couple threads they will pull out. But the bolts do hold up and pull the balancer. I actually use the ones from my steering wheel puller set with some washers.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a master puller set and it does not contain the proper bolts. I am going to go purchase the correct size bolts. Like I said the bolt holes are very small like a 1/4 inch size bolts.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
They are actually little smaller, but need to be at least 3 inchs long. If you have a steering wheel puller set, the bolts I use are part of that.

Thanks Jay!