Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2005 Nissan Altima: whining noise..the car and when accelerating

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima and it has a whining noise when starting the car and when accelerating. What could be thr problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

How many miles do you have on the car?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jay -

Hopefully you will be able to help.

There are 63,000 miles on the car.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Well I don't know if you have any extended warranty or not. I can check if you would like. But most likely the whining noise you are hearing is from the timing chains. I have seen where the upper chain tensioners guides wear down and hit the metal and give that whining noise. There is a bulletin on this. The upper timing chains and tensioners will need to be replaced to correct this.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have a few questions:

1. How safe is the car to drive if that's the problem?

2. Can you give an guesstimate of how much something like this might cost?

3. Where can I find the bulletin that you refer to?

Thanks.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
I will get you the bulletin and answer the rest of your questions in a min.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are the best!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok, here is the front page of the bulletin. Here

Depending on how loud the noise is depends on how long before it can get damaged. If damaged could do engine damage. But I have seen them last a long time like that.

Parts are around 300 bucks, and labor is around 6 to 8 hours labor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more question -

If the whining noise just started a week ago, do you think it might be ok to drive it another 400 miles? Have to do something the next couple of days.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
If it just started, yeah 400 miles you should be fine. I have seen customers come in for a oil change with this noise, refuse the repair and return in 3k miles for the next oil change.

I just wouldn't go to much farther than that. I have seen the tensioners and how bad they get worn.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Before I "Accept" just wanted to say THANK YOU!

You have been extremely helpful Smile !

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
I thought you had one more question? HeHe

Not a problem, your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer