Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
19225669

My 06 Nissan Frontier trailer wiring harness does not work.

My 06' Nissan Frontier trailer wiring harness does not work. I bought a t-connector type and did not splice into any wires. What can I check?
So you haven't installed the fuses and relays yet? These come in the towing harness kit from the dealer and the kit isn't that expensive.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the kit I bought was a t-connector that plugs into the OEM wiring harness. I have used this type of kit in the past on another vehicle, and it was not necessary to install fuses or relays. As mentioned earlier, everything works with the t-connector wiring harness installed but there is nothing (no power - tested with test light) at the plug that goes to the trailer. Your further input on what could be wrong is appreciated.
Your vehicle uses a Body Control Module (BCM) that is basically a computer to output voltage signals to run your lights. It is only designed to run the lights on the vehicle and not trailer lights. If you install trailer lights without using the relay and supplying a separate power supply (by installing the missing fuse) you run a very good chance of burning out the body control module. This module is much more expensive than if you simply buy the correct wiring tow harness kit from the Nissan Dealer.

You MUST use the relays and fuse to install it safely, otherwise the BCM will be at risk for damage. I see this all the time and you don't want to go there.

The factory kit comes with instructions, relays, fuses and the towing harness connector you will need.

Nathan,

Edited by Nathan on 3/13/2010 at 4:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I bought an aftermarket kit and not from the dealer. Could you steer me in the right direction on where do I place the relay and the fuse? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The kit did come with a relay but not with a separate power supply. What would be the best way to power this? Also, as mentioned earlier, when I separate the OEM plug, I do not show any power when probing the terminals. But when I plug the t-connector or the OEM connector, all functions work properly (brake lights, hazards, turn signals & parking lights.
The fuse goes in the black fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. There you will see labels for towing but there won't be a fuse in the corresponding location.

The relay's plug into a pigtail harness that connects in-line with another connector that is directly behind the kick panel on the passenger side of the vehicle.

I am attempting to find some illustrations for you. Nissan doesn't supply these on their database since it is included with the kit, but I will see what I can find.

I will post again in a little bit.
I am having heck finding decent illustrations. As I said the instructions are only printed in the harness kit box.

I did find a few that give you the locations.
Here they are.
graphic
graphic

I hope these help you. I don't know what you have but hopefully this will get you where you need to be.

I will be stepping out for a few hours but will check up on this question tonight.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nathan, I was reviewing my correspondence with you and I mentioned that it was a 2006. It is really a 2001 Frontier model. I must have mis-typed it. Thank you for your help. Galen
Oh wow that makes all the difference in the world. These trucks are completely different and don't use a BCM so it doesn't have any additional fuses or relays to install. I will look up the wiring diagram and take some photo's for you of my own truck. I have a 2001 as well. I will have to do this tomorrow.

NOTE! It is my sons birthday tomorrow and so I won't be online very much but will try to get you the things you need to make everything work. Just not quite sure what time I will get it done tomorrow. So please be patient.

Edited by Nathan on 3/14/2010 at 4:07 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok great! Enjoy your son' s birthday!. I look forward to your earliest response. Galen
Sorry for the delay, but I am sure you can understand when I say that my son's birthday comes first :-)

Here is an illustration and wire color chart that you will need to connect your harness.
I don't know the colors of the wires on your converter but I took a photo of the converter I am using showing which wire is used for what. It may be the same as your converter.
graphic

Of course you will have to match your converter's particular situation. to the chart
graphic
Hopefully this will get you where you need to be. Make sure each of you wires are connected to the correct wires as I listed.

Sincerely,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Nathan. But as mentioned, I bought a Tow Ready brand of trailer wiring harness. This came with a T-Connector and it does not require splicing into any wires. I can visually double check that all wires match the various functions, but I have to say that with the t-connector plugged in, all functions indeed work as intended. Again, why is it that when I pull apart the OEM wiring plug, I am not showing any power with a test light although when plugged in all lights function properly and yet no power coming out at the trailer eend of the plug that is after the converter? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was able to exchange the T-Connector with a new one but still the same result. Thanks for checking into this.
How are you testing and where are you obtaining your ground from?
There are very few good grounds on the back of a truck because the entire be is on rubber mounts.

If you use the black wire as your ground source and then probe do you get power? There must be power since you say the lights work so I am thinking your just not getting a good ground.

Sorry for my delayed responses, Been very busy with family visiting for my sons birthday.
Rest assured that I will respond it just takes me a bit right now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nathan. Indeed it is a bad ground. I moved it around and then everything works fine. How do I accept your answer. Thank you very much.
Let me send you te button. Glad it worked out for you, I also wanted to say thank you for your patience. I appreciate it and my son appreciates it :-)