Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2006 Nissan Pathfinder: VDC..slip..restarting..the lights come on

I own a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The VDC and slip light won't shut off. I tried shutting the car off and restarting it but as soon as I put it in drive, the lights come on.
Hello and thank you for using

Did you recently replace the battery in the truck?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The battery was replaced almost a year ago... I will be more than happy to leave positive feedback. I am thankful to be able to ask someone....
Well the VDC and Slip light can come on for a number of reasons. If you had a battery installed recently I would have said that you need the steering angle sensor re calibrated and G-Sensor. But you said you had it done a year ago. So that rules that out.

How is your brake master cylinder fluid level?

Let me know, thanks Jay!

Edited by Jay on 3/6/2010 at 1:07 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Uh...errr...I'm a chick...forgive the ignorance ....but....where is it and ....wouldn't there be a warning light for that?
Ok, the VDC and Slip light are part of the Brake system. There are control units for almost every system in your truck. When these lights come on and stay on, that means that there is a code stored in the ABS system. These lights could also come on if the fluid level is low in the Brake Master cylinder. Here is a image of it's location.

Make sure when you open the hood that the fluid level is more than half way. If it's half way or lower, that could be the reason why the light is on. Then you would need brake fluid to add the the brake master cylidner and will need to have the brakes checked.graphic

If the fluid level is good, then you will need to have the truck scanned for codes in the ABS system to determine what the fault is.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Who's better than you?....No one! Thanks for your help!