Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Nissan altima: a water pump thermastat still running hot..hood

Customer Question

02 nissan altima keeps running hot. I brought a water pump thermastat still running hot. It's bubbling and smoking under the hood. How can I fix
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Is the engine running rough?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, couple more questions..where is the smoke coming from? Is it losing anti freeze? Have you checked to make sure the cooling fans are coming on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the smoke is coming from the right side in that thing that holds the water and anti freeze. It's also bubbling when it's hot. Yes it's losing anti freeze. I don't have any in it now just water. The fans come on and off. One was on and the other was off.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, sounds like the head gasket may be the problem. You need to pressure test the cooling system for about 45 minutes, then pull the spark plugs and see if there is any coolant on the cylinders. Sounds like the hot exhaust is getting into the cooling system and over heating the coolant.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So you don't think it's the radiator?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
To be honest, these cars have more problems with the head gaskets then the radiators. You might want to try a new radiator cap. If it isn't holding pressure it might be allowing the coolant to boil over into the overflow. Also, make sure you bleed the cooling system to get all the air out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

should i put anti freeze back in it? My thermastats are off right now will this do any harm to my car and if I keep driving it like this will i burn my engine up

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.

If it continues to overheat it will damage the engine. I really think you need to get a pressure test done. Without the thermostats it should not even come close to overheating.

I do recommend the anti freeze as it has a higher boiling point then water.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when i put anti freeze in it before i took the thermostats off it splashed all over my window from under hood
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Well, that is because the car is overheating and pushing it out of the over flow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what kind of ani freeze should i get? straight anti freeze or half water half anti freeze
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
You need a mix or to mix it yourself. Don't use straight anti freeze
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Does the way yoy drive have anything to do why my car is running hot? I say this because my brother always press down hard on my peddle. Just asking

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
No,if the cooling system is working properly, then it doesn't matter how you drive it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do you put the thermastats on properly? one mechanic told me that one thermastat was not opening up. Does it matter? one mechanic said it's two thermastats the other mechanic said it's not and that on was put on backwards
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Well,if the car is heating up without them it really isn't the problem. HERE is a diagram of the T stats.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what's the problem then? you told me earlier that it was something dealing with coolant based on the symptoms i gave you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.

No,I mean if it is still heating up without the thermostats in it,THEY aren't the problem. the thermostats I mean

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i hope this works. i'll reply results back in a couple of days. i don't know anything about cars and when you don't know ppl try to use u to make u spend unnesssary cash which don't have. i just got this car in nov and having problems already. thanks!!!!!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome and I do always appreciate follow up!