Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 xterra. bad ecm relay in ipdm. did swap-out w/fog lamp relay.

Customer Question

2005 xterra. bad ecm relay in ipdm. did swap-out w/fog lamp relay. how long will this last? is bad ipdm causing that relay to fail?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there! It is likely to last only a short time. You will have to replace the IPDM to completely resolve the issue. The ipdm does cause the relay to fail. To be honest though, there is really no way to tell how long it will last. The biggest problem is you can't just replace the relays, you have to get the entire unit they don't sell the relays separate, otherwise I might be able to give you a time factor.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi. if it doesn't cost anymore money ( i appreciate your expertise but am in a very tight spot)...i've read that toyota has a compatible replacement relay..are you familiar with this? would it fail as well?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

I don't see the harm in trying it. We never do it at the dealership so it is hard for me to say. Same reason I really can't tell you how long the fog light relay will last. Since they aren't sold separately there is no way for me to give you a correct answer.

I appreciate the accept and there is no extra charge for follow up question about the same subject. Smile