Aaron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Nissan Senior Master

What is the gear ratio of a 1990 nissan pickup hardbody (d21)

What is the gear ratio of a 1990 nissan pickup hardbody (d21) lsd diff 4x4 manual 3.0 engine?
Do you have a VIN number?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
vin is 1N6HD16Y9LC355615
You have a 4.623to1 gear ratio. If it has factory gears.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and that is a pretty low gear ratio correct? good for crawling...
It is a low ratio. Nissan was trying to make up for the lack of torque in the 3.0. If you go up tire sizes bigger than a 33X12.5 I would recommend changing the ratio to something in the 5.XX range.

Edited by Aaron on 2/24/2010 at 6:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok. cool. thank you vary much. one last question, would the Rough Country Suspension lift kit be a good choice for my truck or is it not all the components that i would need. i dont want to get a lift kit and then end up haveing to custom make brackets or anything.
How high are you trying to go?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i would like to go 4 inches however this lift show that it only goes to 2. i have found only 1 other lift and it goes to 3 inches but it is out of my price range.
I would go 2 suspension. The rough country is an okay lift. For the other 2" you might want to consider a body lift.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok. thanks again. oh. that lift wont affect the bend in my c/v axles and cause them to weaken or anything will it?
It will weaken them. Not much at that small of a lift. The C/V joints on those are pretty stout.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would it be good. to build brackets to drop the front dif a little? would that help do you think? and are there any bumpers i can buy that will fit that that will hold a wench?
For the bumpers try ranch hand. No need to drop the diff.