Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

How do i change the transmission fluid in my 1995 nissan pathfinder.

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

4 to 5 qts of Dexron Mecron III fluid should do.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My car is a manual 5 speed 4X4. What i really need to know is where is the plugs to drain the oil and where to put in the new oil.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
You need 4 to 5 qts of GL-4 gear oil.

The fill is a plug on the driverside of the trans.

The drain is a similar plug on the bottom rear of the trans. graphic only.

Edited by JHoop on 2/23/2010 at 8:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do i need to check and or drain the trasfer case or anything like that. The problem is i was pulling a sled out in a field and all of a sudden i couldn't move forward or backwards but if I tacted it up high enough then it would try to move forward or if i had it in reverse the it would try to back up. So i called a nissan dealer and they told me to check and see if the transmission fluid is white and milky or black and burnt color. they said if it was milky then all i had to do is change it. But if its burnt, then it is done for. So i need to know how to check it and then maybe change it.

Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further.

I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Since your truck is a stick, and you say it move slowly at a high rpm, that sounds like you may have burnt your clutch up. I would have that inspected to verify. That is what it sounds like to me from what you are describing.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how can you tell if the clutch has been burnt out

Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Honestly, removing it and inspecting it. Those manual transmission never go! The clutch is most likely your problem. How many miles do you have on the truck? Do you know if it ever had a clutch done?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What do u mean by those manual transmissions never go. it has 280,000 but it has a rebuilt motor in it it was put in about 5,000 miles ago and it has had it redone but i am not sure how long ago

Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Did you have a new clutch done when you had the motor done?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im not sure give me a couple of mins and then i will let u know, are u located in mo i might need a mechanic to work on it
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
No I am not, I am in NJ. Let me know, thanks Jay!