Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My car wont start. 02 Sentra Ser Spec V manual 2.5L 85000

Customer Question

My car won't start. 02' Sentra Ser Spec V manual 2.5L 85000 miles. Already had battery and starter tested. Cleaned up starter myself and reinstalled. Both are fine. Car has fuel and oil. I have spark coming from ignition coils. New spark plugs. Starter cranks like normal but car won't start. All fuses are good. When I put the key in on position I get pressure from fuel pump and hear humming noise. I have a fuel pressure gauge with connectors to perform a fuel pressure test. How do I remove the quick connector without the quick connector release tool? Also is 51psi the pressure I should be looking for. If less than 51psi should I replace fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter or just fuel filter to start off with? If pressure is good what should be the next thing that I look for to make the car start?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

If you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the security light is off when the key is in the on position
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Do you know if there are any codes stored?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have an OBD scanner. But I can tell you that the night before the car ran fine and no check engine lights or warning lights were present. Then in the morning the car would not start.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
You seem to have already tried alot of things. If there is a code stored for lets say a crank sensor which are common on the 2.5 engines, you would never know.

There is only a few things I can have to you try other than having to get the car towed to get it scanned.

Pull the fuel pump fuse. Remove the spark plugs and see if they are wet.

Let me know. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was able to check one spark plug and it was not wet. Unfortunately I couldnt' check the other 3 because the spark plug remover socket is holding on pretty tight to the spark plug. I think the tiredness is catching up with me. It's 1:30 am here. I will probably have to continue this tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
No problem I will be on tomorrow to continue to help you. I am tired also.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got a scanner from AutoZone and checked for codes. There are no codes. I tried to perform a fuel pressure test but still cannot remove the quick connector from the fuel line to put my gauge in. I bought a universal quick connector removal tool from Autozone but still cannot get it off. Is there an easy way to remove the quick connector to perform a fuel pressure test?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Where the blue cap is on the fuel line pop that off, and the fuel line just locked in by a plastic clip you just pinch and pull. That is back by the fire wall. Once you have the fuel line disconnected, take a fuel sample also. Find a clear glass bottle, like a snapple bottle, and put the fuel line in it and crank the engine till the bottle is around 1/2 way. Then let it sit for 5 mins and see what color it is and if there is any separation in the fuel sample.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I won't be able to do that at the moment because I got frustrated with not being able to get the quick connector off so I removed the back seat and took out the fuel pump to see if a clogged filter could be the problem. I couldn't exactly see the filter as it seems to be enclosed with the fuel pump and fuel pump regulator.... I just saw took the blue cap off. Could a gauge be connected to this fuel line near the fire wall?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly and is not serviceable.

Where I recommend is where I hook up my fuel pressure gauge to take readings. I would recommend you take that fuel sample also.

Let me know what you find when you get to it. I will be around tomorrow around 7 pm EST to continue if you don't get to it tonight.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You're the man. I was going to wait to see if I could get a fuel filter from the dealer before I put the assembly back together. But now that I know for sure it's definitely not serviceable I will put it back together and try to get that fuel sample and try to hook up the gauge at the spot you mentioned.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
You got it. You may want to replace that o-ring for the fuel pump later on. That gets replaced every time the fuel pump is removed. Failure to do so, could result in a Evap leak, so the check engine light may come on.

I will be online till 10:00 to 10:30. If I don't hear back from you I will talk to you some time tomorrow evening. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got the o-ring from the dealer today and reinstalled the fuel pump. For the fuel sample is this correct: I'm removing the fuel hose with the connector from the metal fuel line near the fire wall, then I am putting the fuel hose that goes to the engine in the bottle and cranking the engine?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
yup, that is how you do it.

let me know what you find. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't get any fuel out from the fuel hose that goes to the quick connector to the engine. I attached a plastic tube to the metal fuel line near the fire wall and I did get fuel out of that one. The fuel was a lot darker and murkier when I cranked the car than when I just put the car in the on position. I let it sit for 5 mintes and do not see any solids or separation. The color is like an olive greenish brownish color. It filled the bottle up halfway pretty quickly.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Would it be possible to take a picture of the sample so I can see the color and insert it here?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I took so long... had some trouble shrinking down the photo sizes.graphicgraphic

graphic

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Something doesn't look right with that fuel sample. The light in the back ground is throwing me off. Looks like you put it by a candle.

But it looks bad! I would drain your fuel tank and clean it and reinstall it. That doesn't look clear and yellow, or even orange. That looks more like your problem. I would have it checked to make sure it's not sugar also. There is a good chance it may be.

If it is, do a oil flush and injector flush also. Sugar contaminates the engine and can easily cause engine damage.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The weird thing is before I took this fuel sample I took a sample with the key in just the "on" position to make sure I hooked up the fuel pump properly. The fuel I got from that was clear with a little yellow tinge to it way nicer than this sample. Now when I crank the engine the fuel comes out like this. I don't think it's the fuel tank because when I removed the fuel pump assembly I looked inside the tank and the fuel looked clear and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
That is the thing, the fuel pump sucks from the bottom of the tank, so what ever is at the bottom is what you got in your sample. Now keep in mind, you stirred the fuel in the tank up putting the pump back in. So you may have gotten a partial good line of fuel. It's very hard to see the fuel if it's contaminated when it's in the tank. Thank is why I told you to use a clear glass bottle. Something doesn't look right with that sample! I would drop the tank and clean it if it was me.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you mentioned the oil flush and injector flush. Is the oil flush referring to the engine oil? Would that be just an oil change?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
If it's sugar in the tank, I would try to find a place that can do a oil flush! It's not just a oil change, it's putting a cleaner through the engine to try to clean any build up or contamination. Then after the flush is done, then a oil change is done.

The injectors are cleaned by disconnecting the fuel line to the injector rail. Then a cleaner is hooked up to the injector rail and the car is started off this cleaner and goes through the injectors and cleans them as the car is running.

I would do this if that is sugar. Hard to tell from this end, but that is what it looks like.

Thanks for the bonus and let me know how you make out. Thanks Jay!