Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

04 maxima,cranks,no start

Customer Question

04 maxima,cranks,no start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In my decription i stated that the vehicle does not have spark or injector pulse. I checked these with a spark tester and a noid light . how do i test cam / crank sensors?

I am getting rpm readings with scantool.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

DO you have a lab scope?

WHat is the engine compression at?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how would compression affect spark signal ? I looked inside oil fill to make sure cam was spinning during crank. engine doesn't sound like free-wheeling.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Well, the valve timing could still be off. A compression check would verify this. Otherwise you would have to pull the timing cover to check cam and crank timing.

But anyway, if you feel that this should not be a problem, we can diagnose the no fuel or spark issue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe the no fuel/no spark issue is why the car does not start. if the timing jumped i think the engine would still have an injector pulse.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Not necessarliy. It all depends on how far the timing jumped.

Anyway, do you have a lab scope or a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, i have a snap on modis. going home for the day, i'll check your reply tomorrow. thanks, Brian
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

SOunds good!

I hope this helps! You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hello, sorry i didnt get back sooner,the shop has been busy and this nissan is a trade-in. I did replace the crank sensor-still no spark or injector pulse with noid light. I do have

12v at injector harness but the pcm is not pulsing.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Do we have a 5 volt reference do the tps with the key on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the 6-pin connector at throttle and both white wires had 4.85-5v
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Amedee, i just pulled a sparkplug and checked compression- no compression. engine cranks and intake cam turns ,but i guess the exhaust cam might not be turning. any common problems-124k miles. guess i'll see what the sales dept. wants to spend. thanks for your help.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Did you check compression with a compression gauge? Did you check all cylinders?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no just one in the front.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
I would recommend to check them all before coming to a conclusion. If this is truly the case, yes... the valve tying is obviously an issue and will cause your no start condition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks again for the help. i'll see how much they want to spend first.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good!

Let me know if you have any further questions!