JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member

2001 Nissan Xterra: My husband had to replace a valve cover gasket

Customer Question

My husband had to replace a valve cover gasket. The one tat was easy to to on a 2001 Nissan Xterra 3.3 L. After he replaced it the engine had a rough idle. We are thinking the idle air control may be causing this. Where is this valve located. He has done a complete tune up and we are not the richest people in the world so please HELP!!!!!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 6 years ago.
is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine light flash several times and then went off. When I drive it it has a rough idle at the stand still position and my RPM's go below 1. It has not stalled, however; when i am driving it will hesitate and then get a burst and drive fine.

sounds like a vacum leak i would search for a vacum line off... I would also have it scanned for diagnostic trouble codes

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.

The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is the Air Idle Control Valve, where is it located?
graphiciacv-aac is what you are reffering to