jimchill
jimchill, Nissan Technician
Experience:  over fifteen years in diag and repair of autos and light truck
30684252

2003 nissan sentra: auto transmission..liter engine..park or neutral

I have a 2003 nissan sentra auto transmission 1.8 liter engine.
When trying to put shift lever into park or neutral it made a sound like when you try to start the car when it is already started. I turned the car off and put the shift lever into park and restarted it. Everything works fine now and I can't get it to do it again. What would cause the grinding when trying to put in park or neutral? I was wondering what maintenance I could do to make sure it doesn't do it again. The trans works great now so don't really want to change it out.
Thanks
Dean
Submitted: 4 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
it sounds like the starter hung up on the bendix inside the starter. it made like a zing noise and now you can't duplicate right. you can remove the starter and bench test it and also check the ring gear on the engine for damage to the teeth and damage on the starter. let me know if you have any other questions
jimchill, Nissan Technician
Experience: over fifteen years in diag and repair of autos and light truck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: It only made a sound similar to a starter hanging up. It was definitely a transmission problem.
The starter works fine. The noise was present when shifting into park or neutral only. .
It only made a sound similar to a starter hanging up. It was definitely a transmission problem.
The starter works fine. The noise was present when shifting into park or neutral only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to confuse you with the starter reference. That was the best way I could describe the noise but it has nothing to do with the starter. It is a transmission problem. The noise happened after the car was started and when trying to shift into park. It wouldn't go into park, only grind, until I shut the car off and shifted into park with the car off. Then the problem went away. I was wondering if there is a sensor or something that controls the shifting into park. Maybe the solenoids in the valve body? Why would the problem fix itself? I don't want it to happen again.

Thanks for your help