Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 Altima: wont start..crank sensor..Check engine light is

Customer Question

My 2005 Altima cranks, but won't start. I had the crank sensor and some other sensor replaced about a month ago. Check engine light is not on at this time. This happened before and I can't remember what I did. Something about turning the key on, then off and pushing the accelerator pedal?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
HI there! is the security light flashing or on solid?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You mean, the red light up on the dash visible from outside? It is flashing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK,that is normal. Does the check engine light come on if you just turn the key on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK, Try this,I am not sure it will work as you may have a different problem,but we have to try. In cold weather they sometimes have trouble starting. This results in a flooded engine.
Holt the gas pedal down about 3/4 of the way and crank the engine.If it will not start, then try holding it wide open and crank. If the engine is flooded, this should clear it so it will start. Give it a try and let me know!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yep. It worked. Thanks! I'd tried it before, but don't think I was cranking long enough. Got some blue smoke for a moment, but it seems OK now.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Glad to hear it worked! Sounds like it was flooded, happens sometimes in the cold with these.
Thank you for the accept and bonus!