Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2001 nissan frontier xe: 4cyl..blower relay looks..find anything..ac

2001 nissan frontier xe 4cyl 2.4
Blower is not working,no heat.i purchased a new motor ,the resistor looks good,and the switch also,the blower relay looks good,i checked for power at the motor plug with a light tester,but did not find anything,i dont know what to do,i used a light tester to check both the resistor and switch and there seems to be continuity,also the AC button used to work even when the blower stopped working you would hear a click when you pressed the button,but now it doesnt work anymore
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HI there! Start by checking fuses #19 and #24 in the fuse box inside the truck. Check them and let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

i forgot to tell you that i already checked the fuses also,and they look fine

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

OK, you need to check for power with your test light on the blue wire going to the motor. To do this you need to put the clamp on a ground, or a nut/bolt inside the truck and the pointed end to the blue wire. You should see power with the key in the on position. Check it and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i placed the clip on the frame,and the pointed end on the blue wire with the white line,and the testor lit up on all 4 speeds
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Good, so we have power!This is good. Now the trick here is that the switch is what provides the ground to make the motor work.
What I need you to do now, is run a wire from the positive side of the battery, that is long enough for you to clip the clamp on. Make sure this wire doesn't touch any metal on the car. And then test the other wire at the motor. Again, with the key on. It should light up, and it should light up at deferent brightness depending on the position of the switch. If the switch is on the highest setting it should be brightest. Try this and let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no light this time
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, your problem is the switch then. It needs power and ground to make the blower work.You have power, but no ground. The switches job is to make the ground. You replace the switch and the blower will go back to work. You have to replace that whole unit, it is called the a/c control head. This will resolve the problem for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there anyway i can jump the switch to make sure?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You can bypass it. Pllug your blower motor back in,then run a ground wire from the connector to the body or the area you used for grounding when we were checking for power. You have to make sure the grounding wire touches the copper part of the wire inside the connector. This should make the motor come on. Remember to have the key on when you do this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just did something similar,i cut a pice of insulation off the ground wire and spliced another wire to it and connected it to the body,and still did not get the blower working
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, then lets try this. Take the blower out and then run a positive wire from the battery and a negative wire both to the 2 pins on the blower. If it spins,then it is good, if not then the blower is no good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tested the motor,it works
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
When you tested the blue wire with the white stripe, was it plugged into the blower motor? Also, did the blue only wire have any power going to it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no,it was unpluged,and the solid blue wire did not have any power
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK,I think you need to go back and check the fuses again. Blue is suppose to have power. You can use the test light, just like you did for checking the wires. The fuses have a slot in the back to check for power. Make sure you check them with the key on. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i visually inspected the fuses,and they look good,they did not have test slots behind
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, to be honest, at this point I suspect you may have a break in the blue wire. It should have power on it, it comes right from the fuses to the blower motor. I don't want to give you the wrong info, but for some reason, you seem to have power on the wrong wire. This makes no sense unless the service manual is not right.This is possible of course. I think since you do have power to the motor,it still has to be a ground issue. The switch is the ground. I will stick with my original diagnoses.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.