Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Anti-Theft alarm locked-up, car will not start. 97 Maxima

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Hi, could you tell me exactly what is going on when you attempt to get into the vehicle and try to start the vehicle.

Please also tell me if you have any after market alarms or other items installed in this vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I unlock car and when I insert key and try to engage starter, no response. Have fully charged battery. Fuse (7.5 amp) was blown on box in front of battery. Replaced, same response.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
So the lights, horn etc are not going off? If this is the case then it isn't your security system but rather you just have a no start condition. Like a bad connection, starter or something like this.

Do you have a test light available? I would like to have you check for power at the starter cable (large wire) and at the solenoid signal wire (small wire) while you have an assistant attempt to start vehicle. Would you be able to do this?

A volt meter will also work.

Edited by Nathan (Pronissan) on 2/2/2010 at 1:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nathan:

I do have a test light and a voltage meter. I will be able to try the suggestions you gave, but why would the fuse for the anti-theft have blown? I can try these tomorrow, and how do I get back to you to confirm or to see if there are other possibilities?

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Oh you didn't tell me the fuse was for the anti-theft. But now that I know this then that could be an issue. Did you replace the fuse? If so, What if anything changed?

I still want to have you check for power to the starter. The question will remain open and you can simply reply tomorrow to it after you have checked it.

What time do you think you will be online tomorrow? I can try to make sure I am available to help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Replaced fuse, no change! I will be on same time tomorrow, and will check starter connections and advise you as to outcome! Fuse has not re-blown, had same problem a few years back. Sat in car, armed alarm, waited, then deactivated system and then car started.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
While you are checking the vehicle. Also go to the passenger side front door and lock it using the key and then unlock it. Then get in and attempt to start the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try all of your suggestios. How do I pay you?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
I haven't offered you the accept option yet. i want to make sure you get things worked out first. We will deal with that tomorrow when you get a chance to look at your vehicle. Just please report your results tomorrow so I know where you stand.
Nathan,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much Nathan, I'll contact you tomorrow evening!
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Talk to you tomorrow.