Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2003 Nissan frontier Crew Cab 3.3L V6 and boy is this

I have a 2003 Nissan frontier Crew Cab 3.3L V6 and boy is this thing a mess. I cant seem to get a good answer from anyone. List of problems ;

1. Its burning oil at an alarming rate. This just started about January. I was going down the road and my oil pressure light came on. Luckily i was rite beside good ol' wally world, parked the truck checked the oil and there wasnt a drop on the dipstick. Took 3 qts to get it back to good. And now im adding a qrt every week to week and a half depending on how much driving i do. No visible stains on the driveway where i park. But its been raining/snowing alot so its hard to tell. The other nite my boss followed me out of work and down the road a few miles the next day he said that i had blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe and the air coming in his car tasted like oil (ha ha right). Plus i get this annoying tapping sound coming from the motor espeacially if the oil is a little low.

2. I have a vibration/noise that starts about 40mph and can really be heard up to about 60mph. It gets worse if im accelerating hard or going up hill. I have replaced the wheel bearings,front u-joints, and had the tires rotated and for s***s and giggles had the transmission fluid checked out by a transmission shop. Feels like its coming from the front of the vehicle.

3. When i come to a stop at a light or stop sign and when ideling my heat blows luke warm. But when i go again it blows hot. Have checked both the radiator and the resevior both are full.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

You have asked way to many questions in one thread. You are mainly limited to one question per thread. I am sure I can give you some direction on what needs to be done to resolve or isolate your problems. But I can only do it one at a time.

Please let me know which question you would like to start with in this thread.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to start with the oil consumption problem it being the most serious
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.

how many miles do you have on this truck? Also let me know if it's a automatic or stick.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it has 125k and is an automatic.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.

Well here are my thought. I am actually surprised on a oil consumption problem on this engine. This is a great engine. The only thing I have seen that can cause oil consumption is the valve seals. If the valve seals are bad, it will leak oil into the cylinders and burn oil. The noise you are hearing when the oil level is low is the lifters. If the lifters get air rated, they will make a ton of noise.

You do not need to remove the cylinder heads to do the valve seals. I have done them simply by using compressed air in the cylinder to keep the valve in place.

Piston rings are the other item that can cause oil consumption issues. This is extremely rare, but can happen.

The last thing you can try, which is the first thing I would try, is replacing the PCV valve. This is for crank case ventilation. If clogged or not working properly, it doesn't allow then engine to breath properly and will also cause oil consumption. This part is cheap and the labor isn't that much either. This would be the first thing I would try.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. thanks Jay!

If you would like to continue working with me on another one of your questions, you can request me.

Edited by Jay on 1/27/2010 at 3:27 PM EST
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer