BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2000 Nissan Altima: following codes: p0325..my mechanic..10-12 mpg

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima that is showing the following codes: P0325 and P1126.
I know that the first one is for the knock sensor, but my mechanic "says" he replaced the knock sensor. After I start the car, the engine is very shaky for a good 5 seconds, before steadying down. It is also using a LOT of gas, it is almost unbelievable..about 10-12 mpg. The P1126 code is for magnetic clutch circuit.

Another issue is that everytime I hit a pothole, the car jumps up and down very significantly, more than I think it should. Should I replace the struts or what?

What parts do I need to fix all this? Is it a long procedure? Please help me figure this.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

The p0325 does not mean the knock sensor is bad, the wiring harness could also be the problem. The mechanic will need to test the wiring harness for an open or short. The p1126 has to do with the coolant temperature not reaching a certain temperature in a predefined amount of time. The most common problem for this code is a thermostat, but a bad coolant temp sensor could also be the problem. If the thermostat has not been replaced that is the first thing to change usually. As far as the suspension problem how many miles are on the vehicle?

Let me know if I can help further,
Bob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are 98000 miles on it. How much does it usually cost to replace the wiring to the sensor? Can the spark plugs be also a problem? The car hasn't had a tune-up in almost a year or 1.5 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car has 98000 miles. How much does it usually cost to replace the wiring to the knock sensor? Also, the car hasn't had a tune-up in a year and a half..can that be an issue to anything?
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
The spark plugs will not cause these codes. Fix the thermostat code and you will probably get alot better mileage ans smooth out the idle. If you did plugs a year ago they are "probably" not needed yet. If the struts have never been replaced with that amount of mileage that could be the problem, but you should have the entire suspension checked out.
To repair the wiring there is no book time on it, but it could run $200-$300 to trace the it down and repair, but it could also be much cheaper.

Let me know if i can help further,
Bob